UK: Archive of unique reportages about Roma dating back to 1910 now on YouTube
An archive of 85 000 newsreels by the British Pathé company, which documented the events of the 20th century in the UK and elsewhere, has been published on YouTube in high definition. The archive includes unique film reportages about Romani people, the oldest of which is probably from the year 1910.
Some of the video footage, given its extreme age, does not include audio, while other reportages include commentary. Through this unusually generous step, Pathé UK wants to make its unique archive of reportages available to those interested around the world.
Digitalization of the whole archive was made possible by a grant from the British Government to Pathé UK four years ago. The clips include the following:
Probably the oldest footage of Romani people in this archive, this video captures the dancing of Galician Roma in Spain.
A double Roma wedding in the British town of Baildon.
Filmed in Franborough, Kent, England, this video captures the royal funeral of Queen Gypsy Lee (given name Levi Boswell), who passed away at the age of 82. The funeral procession for the "Queen of the Kentish Gypsies" is led by a horse-drawn carriage and the funeral is attended by a large number of people. Gypsy Lee predicted the time and place of her own death, fulfilling her destiny as a renowned prophetess at the end of her life.
Footage from a Roma pilgrimage to Lourdes in 1958.
The "Roma Star" band came from eastern Slovakia, but worked in Prague. This reportage includes Czech-language commentary.
Czech Television has reported that the director of British Pathé, Alastair White, said on the launch of this material: "This archive is a unique treasure in the context of culture and history which no one should ever forget. Posting the films to YouTube seems the best way to achieve that. We hope that whoever has a computer will see these films and enjoy them."
The entire archive of newsreels, which comprises a total of 3 500 hours of broadcast time, was the only source of such reportages prior to the start of television broadcasting. The films cover the period from 1896 to 1976.
The newsreel coverage of both World Wars is particularly detailed. "Whether you are looking for reportages about the royal family, the Titanic, the Hindenburg disaster or stories of peculiar British pastimes, you will find it all on one channel. You can get lost in it for hours," White said.
In addition to important moments from British history, the films record events of world significance, including key moments in the history of Czechoslovakia.
Other videos from the British Pathé channel concerning Romani people can be found here.
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- Czech Republic: Romani Student Movement says Roma must be involved in addressing affairs that affect them
- Czech Public Defender of Rights calls for social housing law, says media should stop blaming Roma
- Belgium: Roma Travellers evicted from caravan site in Anderlecht neighborhood of Brussels
- Tomáš Bystrý: The Czech national anthem gives me chills
- Czech Labor Minister praises container housing in Romani ghetto
- Gipsy.cz video sends the message that we can turn the negative into positive
- Czech Republic: Children's text messages prove incident not one of "Roma gang violence", as media incorrectly reported
- Czech Republic: Children's fight mischaracterized by media as "Roma gang violence"
- Dr Erika Horváthová: Romani people's basic problem in the Czech Republic is low educational achievement, but it's improving
- Czech Police investigating video of father encouraging his daughter to imagine she is beating "Gypsies"
- Czech video goes viral of man telling girl to beat pillow with baseball bat and imagine it's a "Gypsy or a Muslim"
Tags:British Pathé, Romové, Video, You Tube
videoRacists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz11.9.2018 7:54
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.