Petr Torák on deceptive media reports from England and what Brexit means for Roma
The Czech news server Novinky.cz published a report at the beginning of this month alleging that conflicts are growing between the Pakistani and Romani minorities in England. Petr Torák, a Romani community member originally from the Czech Republic who served in England for many years as a police officer and is dedicated to working with minorities, rejects the recent reporting as misleading and untrue.
Speaking to ROMEA TV, Torák says he has invited the reporter from The Guardian, the newspaper that wrote the article that Novinky.cz drew from, to come to Peterborough, where he lives. He wants to ask her to write a new article that will contain truthful information about the lives of Romani people in England.
Torák is an MBE currently working as an external consultant to the Council of Europe and as director of the COMPAS organization. He also explains what Brexit - the impending departure of Great Britain from the European Union - will mean not just for Roma, but for all EU citizens.
The video above has English subtitles. Please click the gear icon to enable them.
- Petr Torák rejects media reports of tensions between Pakistanis and Roma in England
- International Czech and Slovak Romani community rocked by mysterious death of nine-year-old girl in England
- Czech Police searching for man who assaulted students for speaking English in Ostrava
- About 1 000 Romani residents of a single Slovak village have been working in Britain and now fear Brexit
- Czech PM: Hate attacks in UK after Brexit are future of Europe if EU falls
- Czech Republic: More proof that TV Prima manipulated its reporting about Romani people returning post-Brexit
- England: Roma immigrant in Sheffield will not risk traveling abroad after Brexit win
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- Radek Laci: Children in Czech state institutions crave freedom but have no idea what to do with it
- EU citizens in the UK - many of them Roma - requesting "settled status" so they can live and work there after Brexit
- Manipulation ahead of the EP vote: The tail wagging the dog
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- Bulgarian media showed edited footage of interethnic altercation in shop - full footage shows a different story
- Czech Govt Roma Council, Public Defender of Rights release handbook on how Czech citizens can return from Britain
- HOAX: Romani actor allegedly "forbidden" by NGO to use the word "gypsy"
- Czech ultra-nationalist falsely attributes acid attack committed by native British man to "Muslim immigrants"
- Czech TV series paints northern town as a ghetto - just like local politicians do