Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
The online Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL on ROMEA TV offered unique guests and clips from the best performances of 2020 in the closing episode of the series. In addition to performances, the program features an interview with Miro Bartoš, a Romani opera singer who spent part of his childhood in a children's home in the Czech Republic and is now a professional soloist with a theater ensemble in Plzeň.
"Leaving home changed my life and that of my sister. If we had stayed at home we would never have gone to college and gotten the jobs of our dreams," the singer told ROMEA TV.
Milan Kroka, a musician who is a favorite on the Romani music scene in the Czech Republic, is interviewed about what music means to him. "I haven't always just been a musician. I had to do manual labor too. When things were the very worst, I went to work in a factory as a tool grinder. Music is my life. It's a difficult craft, and when it's not done with love, honestly, people can tell," the composer, producer and vocalist told ROMEA TV.
The final episode of BAŠAVEL for 2020 also featured Terezie Ondičová alias Tessie, who has competed in the nationally televised singing competition The Voice; the young Romani musician from Slovakia Richard Adam alias Vajdis; Karin Cinová, Robert Boldi, Ondrej Ferko & Ondra Gizman, Jr; and the Galiani Gypsy Jazz band. Big thanks go to Ladislav Cirok and his recording studio, EL CIROX PRODUCTION, for collaborating on producing several episodes of the series.
Mgr. et Bc Miro Bartoš, dipl. um., graduated in classical voice from the Conservatory in Plzeň, where he studied with Professor L. Ročáková-Rybářová and then studied voice, musical education and secondary school instruction at the Faculty of Education, University of West Bohemia in Plzeň. During his studies he represented the university in the finals of an international singing competition in Montreal, Canada.
Bartoš has also been educated in the field of global business and management at Newton College in Brno and Prague. Since 2008 he has been a soloist and ensemble member of the J. K. Tyl Theater in Plzeň.
His imaginative performances as "Papageno in the Magic Forest", based on motifs from Mozart's The Magic Flute and other dramatic stage productions have captivated children's audiences. He performs in operas and operettas (e.g., as Prince Yamadori in Madame Butterfly).
Bartoš teaches music and singing to pupils in the primary schools and primary schools with an arts focus and is also dedicated to performing in concert both at home and abroad (France, Germany, Slovenia, the USA, etc.). He is currently perfecting his vocal art under the direction of the baritone Vladimír Chmel (a soloist at the Metropolitan Opera in New York).
As one of the most interesting and sought-after contemporary Romani musicians in the Czech Republic, Milan Kroka fell in love with music at the age of seven, when he began playing guitar. He has collaborated with other important Romani musicians domestically such as Ida Kellarová, Věra Bílá and Kale, Romano Rat, Bengas, Mezcla Orchestra, Kmeťoband, Ben Christovao and many others, performing since 2012 with his own project called Milan Kroka - Live Band.
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Czech President to decide whether Romani musician to receive state honors as Senate proposes
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- Czech Philharmonic celebrates International Romani Day with Romani literature and musicians
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Romani people in the Czech Republic complain to retailers of security guards stalking them when they shop
- "Gypsy King" boxer Tyson Fury tells GQ he once gave his Louboutins to a homeless man in LA, but his giving doesn't stop there
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- Once persecuted, the Salesians have run programs unlike any others for Romani children for 30 years in third-largest Czech city
- Romani community members debate the Czech Govt Strategy on Roma for 2021-2030
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online