Egypt: Band Introduces Traditional Romani Music to the Egyptian Jazz Scene
The Gypsy Jazz Project is an Egyptian band that has pioneered Romani-based music in the jazz scene there. The band is set to perform with Egyptian singer and actress Dalia Farid this Saturday 17 June at 9:30pm in the ROOM Art Space and Cafe in Garden City.
According to Ahram Online, the Cairo-based band is “influenced by the music of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli, as well as other, older artists.” Django Reinhardt was a 20th-cenury Romani guitarist who created an entirely new jazz genre.
According to National Public Radio (NPR) in the USA, Reinhardt “created a new style of music in the 1930s and '40s that came to be dubbed ‘Gypsy jazz’... he's one of the few European musicians to exert a serious influence on the American art form of jazz.” NPR also discusses how the French musician Stephane Grappelli performed with Reinhardt, eventually working with him to form the Quintette du Hot Club de France, “one of the earliest and most influential jazz groups in Europe.”
The Gypsy Jazz Project delivers different aspects of the genre, performing music that ranges from calm to upbeat and waltzy. Ahram Online reports that, “The band lineup consists of guitarists Andrew Guindi, Amr Soliman and Michael Adel; violinist Amir Latif, saxophonist Mina Nashaat, accordionist Ashraf Rizk and bassist Andrew Safwat.”
The group has performed in Cairo, Gizah and Zamalek. The performance on Saturday 17 June in Cairo will include vocalist Dalia Farid, who has a broad repertoire in jazz, folk, and classical music and has performed abroad.
- Czech Interior Minister, SocDem chair: The position of Roma will improve by combating the collections mafia and traffickers in poverty
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Slovakia: Those planning to attend public events with Pope Francis have to register online
- Romania: "Gipsycoin" cryptocurrency launched by Romani community leader
- Czech citizens living abroad can vote in October elections, deadline to register at consulate or embassy is 29 August
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Discussion of the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments