Egypt: Band Introduces Traditional Romani Music to the Egyptian Jazz Scene
The Gypsy Jazz Project is an Egyptian band that has pioneered Romani-based music in the jazz scene there. The band is set to perform with Egyptian singer and actress Dalia Farid this Saturday 17 June at 9:30pm in the ROOM Art Space and Cafe in Garden City.
According to Ahram Online, the Cairo-based band is “influenced by the music of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli, as well as other, older artists.” Django Reinhardt was a 20th-cenury Romani guitarist who created an entirely new jazz genre.
According to National Public Radio (NPR) in the USA, Reinhardt “created a new style of music in the 1930s and '40s that came to be dubbed ‘Gypsy jazz’... he's one of the few European musicians to exert a serious influence on the American art form of jazz.” NPR also discusses how the French musician Stephane Grappelli performed with Reinhardt, eventually working with him to form the Quintette du Hot Club de France, “one of the earliest and most influential jazz groups in Europe.”
The Gypsy Jazz Project delivers different aspects of the genre, performing music that ranges from calm to upbeat and waltzy. Ahram Online reports that, “The band lineup consists of guitarists Andrew Guindi, Amr Soliman and Michael Adel; violinist Amir Latif, saxophonist Mina Nashaat, accordionist Ashraf Rizk and bassist Andrew Safwat.”
The group has performed in Cairo, Gizah and Zamalek. The performance on Saturday 17 June in Cairo will include vocalist Dalia Farid, who has a broad repertoire in jazz, folk, and classical music and has performed abroad.
- Czech capital to see new Center for the Roma and Sinti, meant to serve the general public
- Commentary: The Czech and Slovak Romani community on the battlefield that is Facebook
- UK: Thousands of Czech citizens, mainly Roma, don't have the documents they need to apply for settled status
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic