Egypt: Band Introduces Traditional Romani Music to the Egyptian Jazz Scene
The Gypsy Jazz Project is an Egyptian band that has pioneered Romani-based music in the jazz scene there. The band is set to perform with Egyptian singer and actress Dalia Farid this Saturday 17 June at 9:30pm in the ROOM Art Space and Cafe in Garden City.
According to Ahram Online, the Cairo-based band is “influenced by the music of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli, as well as other, older artists.” Django Reinhardt was a 20th-cenury Romani guitarist who created an entirely new jazz genre.
According to National Public Radio (NPR) in the USA, Reinhardt “created a new style of music in the 1930s and '40s that came to be dubbed ‘Gypsy jazz’... he's one of the few European musicians to exert a serious influence on the American art form of jazz.” NPR also discusses how the French musician Stephane Grappelli performed with Reinhardt, eventually working with him to form the Quintette du Hot Club de France, “one of the earliest and most influential jazz groups in Europe.”
The Gypsy Jazz Project delivers different aspects of the genre, performing music that ranges from calm to upbeat and waltzy. Ahram Online reports that, “The band lineup consists of guitarists Andrew Guindi, Amr Soliman and Michael Adel; violinist Amir Latif, saxophonist Mina Nashaat, accordionist Ashraf Rizk and bassist Andrew Safwat.”
The group has performed in Cairo, Gizah and Zamalek. The performance on Saturday 17 June in Cairo will include vocalist Dalia Farid, who has a broad repertoire in jazz, folk, and classical music and has performed abroad.
- Families with children facing eviction sue Czech city for putting them at risk of homelessness
- Karel Karika: We will rehouse all 70 people from the residential hotel on Klíšská Street
- Czech Republic: Romani secondary school students can apply for scholarships, deadline is 15 July
- Jarmila Balážová now a member of the Barvalipe Academy of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Italy: New Government demands closure of Romani encampments, redistribution of asylum-seekers by EU
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories launches Czech website, panel on Holocaust research MONDAY
- Czech commemoration of Holocaust at Terezín Memorial will again not feature the Romani flag
- Hungary: Open Society Foundation closing in Budapest due to Government persecution
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
- OPEN CALL for 5th CoE Dialogue with Roma and Traveller Civil Society next month - DEADLINE 27 MAY to apply
- EU Agency for Fundamental Rights finds Czech Republic the place that rejects Romani people the most
Tags:Entertainment, Roma, Egypt
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.