Romany girl Cher Lloyd has the X Factor
The 17-year-old comes from a Romany family and was 4 months old when she started living as a traveller with her parents, Diane and Darren. Her uncle told the Mirror that: “You never see a traveller doing well on TV, let alone become a pop star. All you hear about travellers is that they leave litter, go out robbing and start fights. From the age of two all she wanted to do was sing. Now she's just the same as any other teenager”.
Cher is proud of her Romany roots. It was reported that her family had lived the Romany lifestyle for generations and her maternal grandmother raised her children in “the age-old traditions”.
Cher’s family travelled around Wales, with the family getting by on odd jobs and the help of other family members. Cher’s uncle Jessy Smith told the Mirror that: “ The family had little and it was a hard and dangerous life.Cher knows where she’s from and accepts it. At times she's had to put up with kids calling her 'gypo' and 'pikey'.
This sort of success just doesn't happen to traveller families. It's been harder for Cher to get where she is because of her background”.
Cher impressed the judges last night with her performance of Stay by Shakespears Sister. Simon Cowell attributed the performance as the best by any contestant so far.
- Vicente Rodriguez Speaks About His Vision for the Romani People
- Egypt: Band Introduces Traditional Romani Music to the Egyptian Jazz Scene
- Indonesia: Hijab-Wearing Female Metal Group Defies Stereotypes
- Czech-French film features young Romani actor in lead role
- Czech Radio marks International Romani Language Day by premiering radio drama based on a Romani fairytale
- Palestinian and Romani hiphop artists: "Rap is the CNN of ordinary people"
- Czech director defends his depiction of Romani people in tv serial
- Open letter to the writers of the Czech television serial "Sanitka 2"
- Lukáš Houdek: When Romani people don't speak "gypsy" right
- Events scheduled for International Romani Day - 8 April 2013
- Benefit concert in Prague for resisters of gentrification in Ostrava
- Czech broadcasting body says tv station spread hatred against Romani people
Analysis: A propaganda war needs angry, defiant, disgusted, nerve-wracked people - and the Czech Republic qualifies8.1.2018 18:12
Czech EdMin says number of Romani children educated according to reduced standards has not changed in three years7.1.2018 17:17
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.