Czech Human Rights Minister responds to US report by asserting Government is addressing Romani issues
Czech Human Rights Minister Jan Chvojka (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD) has emphasized that the Czech Government is doing its best to improve the position of Romani people and also to eliminate corruption through specific legislative measures. In a statement sent to the Czech News Agency yesterday, Chvojka responded to the US State Department's annual report about the state of human rights in the world, which reproaches the Czech Republic for corruption, the social discrimination of Romani people, and the stigmatization of people infected with HIV.
Washington annually complains to Prague about the Czech Republic's insufficient inclusion of the Romani minority. Chvojka reminded the public yesterday that ministers adopted a Romani Integration Strategy to 2020 in 2015.
"The Government of the Czech Republic is doing its best to improve the position of Romani people in particular, as well as other national minorities, especially in the areas of education, employment, housing and the social arena. Financing is annually allocated from the state budget to support Romani integration," Chvojka wrote.
The minister also mentioned that the cabinet has approved an amendment to the Education Act to beef up inclusive education elements and that it also actively supports the inclusion of Romani children into nursery schools. As far as combating corruption, Chvojka named an amendment to the law on the conflict of interest, a law to protect whistleblowers, an amendment to the law on political parties, and a planned bill on lobbying as measures underway.
The annual report also reproaches the Czech Republic for its anti-immigrant atmosphere, which is supported by the remarks of many politicians, including Czech President Miloš Zeman. The president's spokesperson, Jiří Ovčáček, has criticized the document on Twitter, alleging that it is comprised of "the storytelling of Czech political nonprofits" which, according to him, were nurtured by the administration of former US President Barack Obama.
Former US Ambassador to Prague Andrew Schapiro, who did not enjoy good relations with Zeman during his tenure, tweeted back to Ovčáček that he should calm down.
Calm down, man. https://t.co/KR9y9KrXUc— Andrew Schapiro (@AndySchapiro) 6. března 2017
The report on human rights protections also noticed, for example, the protracted dispute between Jewish organizations and the Prostějov town hall about the commemoration of the site of a former Jewish cemetery, which is currently a park and parking lot, and also mentions that the Czech Republic should address the question of lengthy detentions for asylum-seekers and immigrants in detention centers, as well as overcrowding in the prisons. The Americans consider the abuse and maltreatment of children and domestic violence against women to be hidden problems in the country.
- US State Department reproaches Czech Republic over corruption, discrimination against Romani people
- Czech Human Rights Minister and Czech President discuss changing the Constitution and other laws
- Czech Human Rights Minister meets with management of Hate Free project to discuss its future
- Czech Human Rights Minister and Romani advisers visit socially excluded locality without meeting Romani residents
- Human Rights Watch: Success of populists in Europe and US endangers human rights
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech Human Rights Minister to focus on buying pig farm on Romani Holocaust site and employment of ghetto residents in 2017
- Czech Republic: New Human Rights Minister Chvojka officially takes office
- Outgoing Czech Human Rights Minister claims successes
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister: PM is abandoning the fight against poverty
- Incoming Czech Human Rights Minister meets with Czech President, says human rights belong to everybody
- UN Human Rights Committee asks Slovak Government for independent body to investigate the forced sterilizations of Romani women
- Incoming Czech Human Rights Minister authored amendment on anti-corruption
- Czech Prime Minister Sobotka announces that Health and Human Rights Ministers are leaving
- Ukrainian court remands two juveniles into custody for murderous pogrom against Roma, Canada and USA condemn the racist violence
- USA: Organizer of last year's fatal ultra-right march plans a reprise in the nation's capital
- Disgraced former Trump adviser to debate 2016 election with Democratic Party supporter in the Czech capital
- U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
- Jana Balážová: Not acceptable for teachers to see Romani children as a burden
- Czech Justice Minister leaving politics because most of his fellow ANO members hold different opinions about human rights
- US Ambassador hangs the Romani flag at the US Embassy in Prague
- Italian police forcibly evict yet another Roma camp
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- USA: Pianist Tomáš Kačo performs solo at Carnegie Hall - "There is no box for this music"
- Czech MP spreads disinformation alleging that Florida school shooter was an Antifa member
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
Tags:Jan Chvojka, Jiří Ovčáček, human rights, USA
Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting10.7.2018 10:23
Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma9.7.2018 20:36
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.