France: Attack on Mosque in Paris Continues Europe’s Recent Vehicle Ramming Trend
On 29 June, a man attempted to drive into a Paris mosque, allegedly to avenge attacks previously linked to the so-called Islamic State. Barriers protecting the mosque prevented pedestrian injury and the attacker has been arrested.
According to Le Parisien newspaper, the vehicle circled the mosque in the suburb of Créteil three times, then attempted to attack pedestrians. The driver attempted entry into the mosque multiple times but was blocked by the median and the high pavement.
Ultimately, the driver managed to escape but was later arrested in his own driveway. The newspaper suggests that the attacker is of Armenian descent and wanted to “avenge the Bataclan and the Champs-Elysees.”
The Bataclan concert hall was attacked with bombs and guns in 2015, while a shooting occurred on the Champs-Elysees earlier this year, both incidents attributed to the so-called Islamic State. “A police statement said the suspect's 4x4 vehicle repeatedly struck bollards and barriers designed to protect the mosque in the south-eastern suburb of the French capital,” BBC news reported.
The attack comes in the midst of a series of vehicle ramming attacks that have occurred throughout Europe within the past year. One occurred last week in London on 19 June, when somebody drove into a group of Muslims leaving a mosque, resulting in one man’s death.
- Austria: First newborn of the year has become a target of hateful commentary
- USA: Trump flip-flops after condemning "white supremacists", now talks "left-wing terrorism"
- Czech Republic: Assembly to honor the victim of the neo-Nazi terror attack in the USA
- USA: Charlottesville mayor says Saturday's incident was terrorism, FBI investigating
- USA: "White nationalist" rally blamed for three deaths and 19 injuries
- Czech broadcast authority: TV news misidentifying burkinis as regular clothes failed basic duty to viewers
- Czech-language, racist website asked people to "Snap an immigrant!", Roma and tourists were in the photos
- Czech Police say assault on Muslim women in Prague by aggressive woman was a misdemeanor
- Woman assaults two headscarf-wearing women in Czech capital as they take children to swim
- US: New Travel Ban Targets Predominantly Muslim Countries
- UK: Muslim Community Helps Survivors of Grenfell Tower Fire
- Indonesia: Hijab-Wearing Female Metal Group Defies Stereotypes
Tags:Paris, France, muslimové, terrorism, Islamofobie
Analysis: A propaganda war needs angry, defiant, disgusted, nerve-wracked people - and the Czech Republic qualifies8.1.2018 18:12
Czech EdMin says number of Romani children educated according to reduced standards has not changed in three years7.1.2018 17:17
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.