France gives Czech Public Defender of Rights Anna Šabatová its highest state award, the Legion of Honor
The Czech Public Defender of Rights, Anna Šabatová, has received France's highest state award, the Legion of Honor, for her lifelong determination to fight to defend human rights and the rule of law. The honors were awarded by a decree from French President Emmanuel Macron and were give to her on Friday, 15 June by French Ambassador Roland Galhargue.
"I consider the Legion of Honor to be a tribute and a satisfaction. France has expressed appreciation for my consistent advocacy of human rights before 1990 and now, whether that concerns Romani people who are socially excluded, foreign nationals including refugees, or persons of different sexual orientations. I am very pleased that the ambassador mentioned in this speech that together with my husband, Petr Uhl, in addition to our lifelong defense of human rights, we also raised three children who are following in our footsteps," Šabatová said.
The Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur is France's highest order of merit and was established in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte. It is awarded to individuals or organizations in recognition of their military, cultural, scholarly or societal contribution to France.
The leader of the order is its Grand Master, who today is the French President. Uhl was awarded the honor in 2006 and the Czech Republic's first-ever Public Defender of Rights, Otakar Motejl, was awarded it as well.
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says police failed in their response to shooting at children's camp
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Czech-French film features young Romani actor in lead role
- France: Journalist sentenced to six months for racist articles about immigrants from the Maghreb and Romani people
- NGO's quarterly report on hate violence notes Czech President, Deputy Ombudsman made xenophobic statements
- French court fines Jean-Marie Le Pen for abusive remarks about Romani people - again
- Czech tabloid uses old video from French taxi drivers' protest, claims it is of current protests by immigrants
- Czech Government withdraws bill to strengthen Public Defender of Rights
- Czech Deputy Ombudsman: We cannot treat people as individuals
- French left and right unite on mass evictions of Roma: Hollande forces thousands more Roma onto the streets
- Analysis: Czech media spread Islamophobic disinformation about court-ordered removal of Virgin Mary statue in France
- Hollande admits France's role in persecuting Romani people during WWII
- France: Attack with firearms and Molotov cocktails against Roma over two nights - seven hospitalized, including a teenager
- Czech town rejects ombudsperson's critique, says it did not discriminate against and segregate Romani pupils
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights discusses compensation procedure for forced sterilizations in interview for ROMEA TV
- Synodal Council of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren calls on ombudsman to apologize for anti-Romani remarks
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Czech organizations insist the lower house and Prime Minister reject the anti-Romani remarks of the ombudsman
- Czech Public Defender of Rights meets Romani community member Štěpán Kavur of the Buči association
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights says Public Defender of Rights is publicly misrepresenting what she said to him
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner tells ROMEA TV ombudsman is wrong to say Roma not involved with Strategy, removal of his deputy from councils makes no sense
- Czech ombudsman claims his deputy was not appointed to Govt councils, Romea.cz has proof that is not true
- Czech ombudsman removes his deputy from Govt councils after she disagrees with his official comments on the Roma Strategy
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion informs ombudsman that 82 % of communities where they work are satisfied
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people