France gives Czech Public Defender of Rights Anna Šabatová its highest state award, the Legion of Honor
The Czech Public Defender of Rights, Anna Šabatová, has received France's highest state award, the Legion of Honor, for her lifelong determination to fight to defend human rights and the rule of law. The honors were awarded by a decree from French President Emmanuel Macron and were give to her on Friday, 15 June by French Ambassador Roland Galhargue.
"I consider the Legion of Honor to be a tribute and a satisfaction. France has expressed appreciation for my consistent advocacy of human rights before 1990 and now, whether that concerns Romani people who are socially excluded, foreign nationals including refugees, or persons of different sexual orientations. I am very pleased that the ambassador mentioned in this speech that together with my husband, Petr Uhl, in addition to our lifelong defense of human rights, we also raised three children who are following in our footsteps," Šabatová said.
The Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur is France's highest order of merit and was established in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte. It is awarded to individuals or organizations in recognition of their military, cultural, scholarly or societal contribution to France.
The leader of the order is its Grand Master, who today is the French President. Uhl was awarded the honor in 2006 and the Czech Republic's first-ever Public Defender of Rights, Otakar Motejl, was awarded it as well.
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says police failed in their response to shooting at children's camp
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Czech-French film features young Romani actor in lead role
- France: Journalist sentenced to six months for racist articles about immigrants from the Maghreb and Romani people
- NGO's quarterly report on hate violence notes Czech President, Deputy Ombudsman made xenophobic statements
- French court fines Jean-Marie Le Pen for abusive remarks about Romani people - again
- Czech tabloid uses old video from French taxi drivers' protest, claims it is of current protests by immigrants
- Czech Government withdraws bill to strengthen Public Defender of Rights
- Czech Deputy Ombudsman: We cannot treat people as individuals
- French left and right unite on mass evictions of Roma: Hollande forces thousands more Roma onto the streets
- Analysis: Czech media spread Islamophobic disinformation about court-ordered removal of Virgin Mary statue in France
- Hollande admits France's role in persecuting Romani people during WWII
- France: Attack with firearms and Molotov cocktails against Roma over two nights - seven hospitalized, including a teenager
- Czech town rejects ombudsperson's critique, says it did not discriminate against and segregate Romani pupils
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights inserts himself into scandal over refugee interview
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says municipal bans on sitting in public are unconstitutional
- International Romani Union expresses solidarity and sorrow over the fire at Notre Dame cathedral
- Czech Govt Roma Council, Public Defender of Rights release handbook on how Czech citizens can return from Britain
- William Bila: Can we put an end to the dehumanization of Roma in France?
- Czech MP compares French President Macron to Hitler at commemoration of the Nazi occupation, Czech Defense Ministry distances itself
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner steps down
- France demonstrates against antisemitism after vandal destroys dozens of Jewish gravesites
- Czech lower house to elect new Deputy Public Defender of Rights
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- Czech Public Defender of Rights recommends 10 measures to improve Romani integration into mainstream schools with non-Romani children
- Czech Public Defender of Rights calls for social housing law, says media should stop blaming Roma
- France: Le Pen and Co. continue to embezzle EU taxpayer money
- France: Extreme-right members arrested on suspicion of planning to attack Muslims