Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
International and national NGOs in Greece are calling for a full investigation into the attacks on the Roma community that erupted in response to the death on 8 June of an 11-year-old-boy in the town of Menidi, according to the European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC). A criminal investigation into the riots was launched as of 20 June, but suspects have yet to be arrested.
An 11-year-old non-Romani boy was killed by a stray bullet that day. Greek media reported that a Romani man had fired the weapon involved.
According to the Greek Reporter, “A 23-year-old Roma was arrested on Saturday morning after having confessed that he shot a shotgun on Thursday evening when a 11-year-old boy was killed from a stray bullet.” In response, non-Romani residents targeted the Roma community of Menidi with violence and several Romani homes sustained significant damage.
The Coordinated Organizations and Communities for Roma Human Rights in Greece, the ERRC, the Greek Helsinki Monitor, the Minority Rights Group in Greece and Solidarity Now have called on the Mayor of Menidi and other authorities to fully investigate the attacks on the Roma community. These organisations are calling for a restoration of order and a prosecution of the individuals responsible for the damage to Romani property.
ERRC stresses the importance of considering racial motivation as a factor in the crime: “A comprehensive investigation must be undertaken, and those responsible prosecuted, not only to secure the rights of the individuals affected, but also for the protection of the entire Romani minority." The riots against the Roma community persisted for three days.
Police reportedly successfully kept the anti-Roma mob from entering the Roma community. The violence has abated for now, but pro-Roma organisations are continuing to seek remedies to the situation and to address the potential of future violence.
- Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
- Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
- Greek court acquits Golden Dawn MP of assaulting female politicians
- Greek Parliament to convene with Golden Dawn MPs in handcuffs
- Czech prosecutor reviewing local election slogan referencing "pests" and "poison"
- Absurd hoax continues to spread that Roma NGOs want Czech Television series cancelled
- Slovakia: "Invisible Roma" protest insult by the speaker of Parliament
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats have to choose between democracy and racism
- Slovak Interior Ministry plans Operational Centers against "inadaptable Roma", community members protest
- Czech documentary film "Passengers" documents transition from children's homes to adulthood
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- Fifteen anti-racist and Roma NGOs call on EU countries to commit to updating their Romani Integration Strategies after 2020
- How were Romani members of the Czechoslovak Legionnaires rewarded for their service?