Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
On 19 July Italian media reported that a pellet fired by an air gun struck a Romani baby as she was being held in her mother's arms. The child is now in intensive care in a hospital in Rome.
Authorities are investigating and asking witnesses to come forward. The infant’s parents were not available for comment, but another family member has confirmed to the media that the one-year-old is now at risk of paralysis.
The baby girl has undergone surgery. The pellet is said to have entered her back, damaged her lung, and caused a vertebral lesion which could paralyze her.
Her family reportedly lives in the Via Salone encampment. The Lombardy Region recently became the first in Italy to implement an internationally controversial “head count” of Romani people for the purposes of closing illegal encampments and deporting those residing without proper documentation.
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting
- Czech NGO ROMEA and vice-chair of Pirates file criminal report over online racist commentaries about arson in Bohumín
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue