Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
On 19 July Italian media reported that a pellet fired by an air gun struck a Romani baby as she was being held in her mother's arms. The child is now in intensive care in a hospital in Rome.
Authorities are investigating and asking witnesses to come forward. The infant’s parents were not available for comment, but another family member has confirmed to the media that the one-year-old is now at risk of paralysis.
The baby girl has undergone surgery. The pellet is said to have entered her back, damaged her lung, and caused a vertebral lesion which could paralyze her.
Her family reportedly lives in the Via Salone encampment. The Lombardy Region recently became the first in Italy to implement an internationally controversial “head count” of Romani people for the purposes of closing illegal encampments and deporting those residing without proper documentation.
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free
- Germany's anti-immigrant AfD party is radicalizing, some members are attempting to overthrow the chair
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech Police, prosecutors intensively focus on online haters, number of prosecutions rising
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated