Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
On 19 July Italian media reported that a pellet fired by an air gun struck a Romani baby as she was being held in her mother's arms. The child is now in intensive care in a hospital in Rome.
Authorities are investigating and asking witnesses to come forward. The infant’s parents were not available for comment, but another family member has confirmed to the media that the one-year-old is now at risk of paralysis.
The baby girl has undergone surgery. The pellet is said to have entered her back, damaged her lung, and caused a vertebral lesion which could paralyze her.
Her family reportedly lives in the Via Salone encampment. The Lombardy Region recently became the first in Italy to implement an internationally controversial “head count” of Romani people for the purposes of closing illegal encampments and deporting those residing without proper documentation.
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- Analysis: Czech society remains blind to how the poorest of the poor are (not) housed
- Czech prosecutor reviewing local election slogan referencing "pests" and "poison"
- Slovakia: "Invisible Roma" protest insult by the speaker of Parliament
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Polish prosecutor investigating anti-Jewish demonstration at the gates of Auschwitz
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats have to choose between democracy and racism
- Slovak Interior Ministry plans Operational Centers against "inadaptable Roma", community members protest
- Czech documentary film "Passengers" documents transition from children's homes to adulthood
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- Italian theater cancels neo-Fascist concert co-opting Czechoslovak historical figure, so it moves from Verona to Lazis