Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
On 19 July Italian media reported that a pellet fired by an air gun struck a Romani baby as she was being held in her mother's arms. The child is now in intensive care in a hospital in Rome.
Authorities are investigating and asking witnesses to come forward. The infant’s parents were not available for comment, but another family member has confirmed to the media that the one-year-old is now at risk of paralysis.
The baby girl has undergone surgery. The pellet is said to have entered her back, damaged her lung, and caused a vertebral lesion which could paralyze her.
Her family reportedly lives in the Via Salone encampment. The Lombardy Region recently became the first in Italy to implement an internationally controversial “head count” of Romani people for the purposes of closing illegal encampments and deporting those residing without proper documentation.
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting
- Polish Police investigating antisemitic graffiti at Auschwitz Memorial
- Czech Interior Minister, SocDem chair: The position of Roma will improve by combating the collections mafia and traffickers in poverty
- Czech Police charge two men over video in which one threatens to stab politician
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Slovakia: Those planning to attend public events with Pope Francis have to register online
- Romania: "Gipsycoin" cryptocurrency launched by Romani community leader
- Czech citizens living abroad can vote in October elections, deadline to register at consulate or embassy is 29 August
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant