Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
On 19 July Italian media reported that a pellet fired by an air gun struck a Romani baby as she was being held in her mother's arms. The child is now in intensive care in a hospital in Rome.
Authorities are investigating and asking witnesses to come forward. The infant’s parents were not available for comment, but another family member has confirmed to the media that the one-year-old is now at risk of paralysis.
The baby girl has undergone surgery. The pellet is said to have entered her back, damaged her lung, and caused a vertebral lesion which could paralyze her.
Her family reportedly lives in the Via Salone encampment. The Lombardy Region recently became the first in Italy to implement an internationally controversial “head count” of Romani people for the purposes of closing illegal encampments and deporting those residing without proper documentation.
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting
- Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Italian Deputy Prime Minister says EU Justice Commissioner's critique of Italy's treatment of Roma is "nonsense"
- Italian Deputy PM Salvini is behaving like a neo-Fascist, former Italian Labor Minister says
- Czech organization remembers the Nazi genocide and aids its Romani victims
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Czech police officer claims to have filmed journalists "staging" migrants drowning, his superiors see nothing wrong with that
- Czech Police receive complaints about elections, not yet clear whether vote-buying happened
- Czech elections: 13 Romani local assembly members, no Romani senators
- USA: Four racists arrested over last year's violence in Charlottesville
- Martina Horváthová: Freely casting your ballot is your right - and nobody else's business!
Tags:Italy, Police, Roma, Rome
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.