LIVE BROADCAST WEDNESDAY 27 MARCH: Last sessions of the Council of Europe's 7th International Roma Women's Conference
The seventh International Roma Women's Conference concludes today in Espoo, Finland. The plenary sessions are being broadcast online.
The overarching theme is access to justice and rights for Roma and Traveller women. Today's sessions will discuss digitalization as an equalizer for Roma and Travellers, as well as a potential threat.
Speakers from the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) will discuss "big data" as an avenue of discrimination, while representatives from Spain will discuss how smartphone applications can aid with the reporting of discrimination. Members of the Traveller Movement in the UK will discuss the #Operationreporthate Campaign there, and a Finnish representative will discuss database research on hate crime against Roma in Finland.
The final panel will feature a documentary filmmaker reflecting on distorted media images of Roma and Traveller Women, an artist discussing the "Lupta Femeilor - Women's Fight" project, and members of the management of the European Rom Institute for Arts and Culture discussing that organizations support for Romani women artists and Romani women generally. The contributions of this conference to another Council of Europe event immediately following in Finland on Gender Stereotypes and Sexism will then be summarized.
Yesterday the situation of access to justice for the Romani women who have been forcibly sterilized in the Czech Republic and Slovakia was presented by Elena Gorolová of the Group of Women Harmed by Forced Sterilization (Czech Republic) and Vanda Durbaková of the Counseling Center for Civil and Human Rights, who has represented Romani women sterilized in Slovakia before the European Court of Human Rights. Their contributions highlighted the need for Governments of both countries to develop compensation mechanisms that will reach all of the women affected by these violations.
- Slovakia: Romani women giving birth allege they are subjected to physical violence, racism in hospitals
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech local elections see at least 150 Romani men and women running
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
- UN tells Czech Republic to improve Romani integration, compensate illegally sterilized women
- UN Human Rights Regional Office for Europe welcomes Czech Govt genocide site buyout, calls for illegally sterilized women to be compensated
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights discusses compensation procedure for forced sterilizations in interview for ROMEA TV
- Czech President signs law to compensate the victims of illegal sterilizations
- Council of Europe's INSCHOOL project promotes inclusion in schools throughout the Czech Republic
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- The confirmation that Slavia Prague hooligans with violent pasts were among those attacking Roma in the Czech town of Sokolov? Selfies.
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Several dozen Romani people protest in Sokolov, Czech Republic over the attack by football hooligans on local Roma
- Czech Senate approves compensation for the victims of illegal sterilizations
- Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe calls on the Czech Senate to approve compensation for illegal sterilizations, final vote tomorrow
- Czech Senate committee recommends compensation for the illegally sterilized, final word will rest with the Senate as a whole
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- Council of Europe seeks independent, thorough investigation of the death of Romani community member Stanislav Tomáš in Teplice, Czech Republic