Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous
Pharmaceutical regulators in Slovakia are warning against consuming alcohol together with cough medicine if you have been infected with COVID-19. They put out their statement after Marian Kotleba, head of the opposition ultra-right "Followers of Kotleba - People's Party Our Slovakia" (LSNS) made a statement promoting mixing vodka with two different decongestants when describing how he is personally dealing with the disease.
"I have used the methods of our ancestors. I began mixing Stopkašel syrup and Bromhexin with vodka. It has saved my health. I poured the dosage cap of Stopkašel half-full, then filled it up with vodka. Half the dosage cap of Bromhexin, the rest vodka," Kotleba said in a video recording posted to social media.
Kotleba went on to say he had dissolved ordinary salt in a hot bath, which he also claimed had aided him. Bromhexin is used as a decongestant to treat respiratory tract ailments, and Stopkašel relieves people who are coughing a lot.
Slovakia's State Institute for the Control of Pharmaceuticals has warned against the risk of using alcohol together with drugs of any kind. "It is not appropriate to consume either Bromhexin or any other drug with alcohol. Moreover, drinking alcohol not only does not protect one from COVID-19, but can also be dangerous. Consuming alcohol will not destroy the virus but, on the contrary, can increase the risk to one's health should one become infected," the Institute warned in a statement.
Kotleba, who is 43, indirectly cast doubt on the ongoing pandemic and the response to it yet again in his recent video post. "We experienced much more difficult illnesses when we were young. In primary school half the class was constantly home with purulent tonsilitis. Nobody caused any panic about that, nobody restricted people's freedom of movement, nobody instituted any psychopathic measures," said the LSNS boss, who previously also spoke out against the compulsory wearing of face masks.
After Kotleba tested positive for COVID-19, other MPs with whom he had come into contact were also tested. Several were confirmed infected and Slovakia's unicameral legislature has therefore suspended this week's session.
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- COVID-19 dampens turnout for annual international pilgrimage by Catholic Roma in the Czech Republic, but the atmosphere was not affected
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Slovak PM says local Roma who completed COVID-19 quarantine are role models for the country
- Amnesty International criticizes closures of Romani settlements in Bulgaria and Slovakia as part of COVID-19 response
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Czech nonprofits find schools not in touch with one-fifth of disadvantaged parents surveyed
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Fascist party in Slovakia seems to be falling apart
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize