Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
News server noviny.sk reports that the Štrkáč family recently bought a new home in the village of Oščadnici near Žilina, but their future neighbors disagree with their moving in, allegedly because they are Romani. Everything began on the day after the family bought the house and began reconstructing it.
The former owner called them to say she had heard people in the village were bothered by the fact that they are Romani. Jana Štrkáčová later found out that her new neighbors had visited the mayor to complain.
"What do I regret most? When your child asks why we can't move in and you have to tell him it's because we're black and we're 'gypsies'," she told TV JOJ.
"They came to see me with their concerns, on the basis of rumors that were probably unfounded and unjustified, that as many as 40 inadaptable citizens would be moving in there. That is probably not true in this case," Mayor Marián Plevka told TV JOJ.
"Are they saying I'm not able to buy a house because I am a 'gypsy' woman? Nobody gave me the money for it," Štrkáčová told TV JOJ.
"I had to earn that money through honest work," the new homeowner said. Her husband also works and for that reason they have been able to afford a mortgage.
- Slovak President Kiska discusses Romani settlements and Interior Ministry's plans for repression
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
- Slovak anti-Romani law protested by Amnesty International, Justice Minister and Plenipotentiary for Roma Affairs
- International Czech and Slovak Romani community rocked by mysterious death of nine-year-old girl in England
- Slovak MP charged with insulting Romani people and inciting hatred on the radio
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Slovakia-based stockholder in pig farm on Romani genocide site suing over sale to Czech Republic - twice
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- President of Slovakia Zuzana Čaputová posts in Romanes for Roma Holocaust Memorial Day: Te e historija na avel pale kampel te achaľol, so hin ňenavisť
- Czech Republic's housing benefit rules are easier as of this month
- British authorities sentence couple who enslaved Romani youth to nine and 16 years in prison respectively
- Czech city to raze apartment buildings where local council briefly fenced off Romani residents from view after their non-Romani neighbors complained
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech academic publishes book on how to work with groups where non-Romani and Romani people come together
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Interior Minister wants stricter checks on the passports held by refugees and changes to the aid offered them