Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
News server noviny.sk reports that the Štrkáč family recently bought a new home in the village of Oščadnici near Žilina, but their future neighbors disagree with their moving in, allegedly because they are Romani. Everything began on the day after the family bought the house and began reconstructing it.
The former owner called them to say she had heard people in the village were bothered by the fact that they are Romani. Jana Štrkáčová later found out that her new neighbors had visited the mayor to complain.
"What do I regret most? When your child asks why we can't move in and you have to tell him it's because we're black and we're 'gypsies'," she told TV JOJ.
"They came to see me with their concerns, on the basis of rumors that were probably unfounded and unjustified, that as many as 40 inadaptable citizens would be moving in there. That is probably not true in this case," Mayor Marián Plevka told TV JOJ.
"Are they saying I'm not able to buy a house because I am a 'gypsy' woman? Nobody gave me the money for it," Štrkáčová told TV JOJ.
"I had to earn that money through honest work," the new homeowner said. Her husband also works and for that reason they have been able to afford a mortgage.
- Slovak President Kiska discusses Romani settlements and Interior Ministry's plans for repression
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
- Slovak anti-Romani law protested by Amnesty International, Justice Minister and Plenipotentiary for Roma Affairs
- International Czech and Slovak Romani community rocked by mysterious death of nine-year-old girl in England
- Slovak MP charged with insulting Romani people and inciting hatred on the radio
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Slovakia-based stockholder in pig farm on Romani genocide site suing over sale to Czech Republic - twice
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Vladimír Leško of the Association of Romani Entrepreneurs and Guilds in the Czech Republic: Let's turn welfare recipients into taxpayers
- Romani competitive dancer Tomáš Kaluja aids non-Romani foster parents of Romani children in Slovakia with understanding ethnic identity
- Czech bookstore fires clerk for racially insulting Romani colleague on social media
- Romani fashion designer Pavel Berky joins the top 16 round of the Czech edition of the MasterChef competition
- Slovak court compensates illegally sterilized Romani woman after 15 years
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister's housing benefit reforms criticized from all sides
- Irena Biháriová: I will not let the extremists own the streets
- Outgoing Czech ombudswoman assessed her seven years in office before the lower house today
- German academic institution to hold seminar on the influence of ethnic discrimination on Romani health
- Jarmila Balážová: Is the boundary of what is excusable being pushed beyond all recognition?
- Slovakia: Romani people protest against Fascists in the east
- Czech Republic: Driver runs into Romani boy in crosswalk, shouts racist abuse at him and drives off