Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
News server noviny.sk reports that the Štrkáč family recently bought a new home in the village of Oščadnici near Žilina, but their future neighbors disagree with their moving in, allegedly because they are Romani. Everything began on the day after the family bought the house and began reconstructing it.
The former owner called them to say she had heard people in the village were bothered by the fact that they are Romani. Jana Štrkáčová later found out that her new neighbors had visited the mayor to complain.
"What do I regret most? When your child asks why we can't move in and you have to tell him it's because we're black and we're 'gypsies'," she told TV JOJ.
"They came to see me with their concerns, on the basis of rumors that were probably unfounded and unjustified, that as many as 40 inadaptable citizens would be moving in there. That is probably not true in this case," Mayor Marián Plevka told TV JOJ.
"Are they saying I'm not able to buy a house because I am a 'gypsy' woman? Nobody gave me the money for it," Štrkáčová told TV JOJ.
"I had to earn that money through honest work," the new homeowner said. Her husband also works and for that reason they have been able to afford a mortgage.
- Slovak President Kiska discusses Romani settlements and Interior Ministry's plans for repression
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
- Slovak anti-Romani law protested by Amnesty International, Justice Minister and Plenipotentiary for Roma Affairs
- International Czech and Slovak Romani community rocked by mysterious death of nine-year-old girl in England
- Slovak MP charged with insulting Romani people and inciting hatred on the radio
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Slovakia-based stockholder in pig farm on Romani genocide site suing over sale to Czech Republic - twice
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Slovakia's TV Romana to be carried by the Orange TV satellite network
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital