Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
News server noviny.sk reports that the Štrkáč family recently bought a new home in the village of Oščadnici near Žilina, but their future neighbors disagree with their moving in, allegedly because they are Romani. Everything began on the day after the family bought the house and began reconstructing it.
The former owner called them to say she had heard people in the village were bothered by the fact that they are Romani. Jana Štrkáčová later found out that her new neighbors had visited the mayor to complain.
"What do I regret most? When your child asks why we can't move in and you have to tell him it's because we're black and we're 'gypsies'," she told TV JOJ.
"They came to see me with their concerns, on the basis of rumors that were probably unfounded and unjustified, that as many as 40 inadaptable citizens would be moving in there. That is probably not true in this case," Mayor Marián Plevka told TV JOJ.
"Are they saying I'm not able to buy a house because I am a 'gypsy' woman? Nobody gave me the money for it," Štrkáčová told TV JOJ.
"I had to earn that money through honest work," the new homeowner said. Her husband also works and for that reason they have been able to afford a mortgage.
- Slovak President Kiska discusses Romani settlements and Interior Ministry's plans for repression
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
- Slovak anti-Romani law protested by Amnesty International, Justice Minister and Plenipotentiary for Roma Affairs
- International Czech and Slovak Romani community rocked by mysterious death of nine-year-old girl in England
- Slovak MP charged with insulting Romani people and inciting hatred on the radio
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Slovakia-based stockholder in pig farm on Romani genocide site suing over sale to Czech Republic - twice
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- Slovak MP of Romani origin Peter Pollák, Jr.: COVID-19 isn't racist
- Romani politicians: Slovak court's judgment in case of police abuse of children is unacceptable
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Despite COVID-19 state of emergency, landlord summarily evicts five Romani families in Czech town
- COMMENTARY: Czech TV show portrays Roma as nothing but criminals
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech NGOs say lawmakers want to cut welfare despite impending social crisis