US Chargé d’Affaires at Roma Holocaust site: I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm
Chargé d’Affaires Kelly Adams-Smith from the Embassy of the United States of America in Prague reminded those assembled at the Lety Memorial on 13 May for the commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku of the importance of such ceremonies for honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust, adding: "We can also honor them by making sure that all Romani people are treated with dignity." News server Romea.cz publishes her speech in full here:
Speech by Kelly Adams-Smith, Chargé d’Affaires, Embassy of the United States of America in Prague, 13 May 2017
Honored guests, Minister Chvojka, Minister Herman, Mr Růžička, Ambassadors, representatives of the Czech Government, ladies and gentlemen,
Thank you for inviting me to today's commemorative ceremony. It is my honor to remember with you today the frequently overlooked persecution of Romani and Sinti men, women and children during the Second World War.
They were among millions of people from all over Europe who were forced into concentration camps, where death usually awaited them. Today it seems unthinkable that such a methodical system of discrimination and murder could have existed in Europe.
For that reason, it is important to acknowledge that the Roma and Sinti were forced into Lety for the same reason that others were forced into Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachau and Terezín: Because they were different. What happened here is a horrifying reminder of what can happen when people act in the belief that those who are different are also inferior.
It is important for these commemorative ceremonies honoring the memory of the victims to be held. We can also honor them by making sure that all Romani people are treated with dignity.
All Romani children should have equal access to education, and all adults should enjoy equal employment opportunities. Ending discrimination in any form is the best way to remember the horrible legacy of Lety.
The Czech Republic and the United States share the same ideal of equal treatment of all people, irrespective of their differences. There is a great deal still to be done in both of our countries to achieve this ideal.
I know that many state officials want to improve the quality of life for Romani people in the Czech Republic. I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm and build a dignified memorial.
We hope the Government will take that important step this year. On behalf of myself and the people of the United States of America, I thank you for the opportunity to be with you at this commemorative ceremony.
- Czech researcher at Romani genocide commemoration: Compensate the victims of illegal sterilizations
- Opening remarks at commemoration quote Romani genocide survivor: "There's a pig farm at Lety. How could they allow that?"
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- Disgraced former Trump adviser to debate 2016 election with Democratic Party supporter in the Czech capital
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
- Czech Police apprehend youth who desecrated Romani genocide memorial with pig's head
- Czech Constitutional Court: Complaint against decision to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site is inadmissable
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide apparently must be done in three years
- Demolition of pig farm on Romani genocide site in Czech Republic could provide jobs for long-term unemployed
- Czech Republic will not finance new memorial at Romani genocide site, funds will come from Norway
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- Norway confirms it will give EUR 1 million to create memorial to Romani genocide at Lety
Tags:Lety u Písku, Pietní akce, romský holocaust, USA
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.