Czech-French film about Roma wins main prize at Slovak festival
The film "Cesta ven" ("The Way Out") by director and screenwriter Petr Václav has won the main prize for Best Film at the Art Film Fest in Slovakia, according to the festival organizers. The story of a young Romani mother refusing to accept her adverse social position was one of 11 films competing in the feature film category.
"The film captures a harsh reality we must all come to grips with. We appreciate the importance of the subject, the truthful details, the work with non-actors, and its depiction of a micro-situation," the jury, led by Romanian actor Răzvan Vasilescu, said of the winning entry.
In addition to the prize for best feature film, the Czech-French co-production also won yet another award at the festival. Klaudia Dudová, who portrayed one the main characters, won the award for Best Actress.
The film premiered at the international film festival in Cannes, where it was screened in the non-competing section L'ACID. Its first screening in Slovakia was at the Art Film Fest, which is traditionally held in Trenčín and the spa town of Trenčianske Teplice.
The 22nd annual Art Film Fest ended Friday and saw Czech actor Ivan Trojan win the prize for Lifetime Achievement (Hercova mise). The award is given for an exceptional contribution to the art of film acting and was given to the famous Italian actress Claudia Cardinal last year.
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- Descendants of Romani victims of the Holocaust and Czech experts discuss commemoration after screening of documentary "LETY"
- Petr Kotlár: Filming with Václav Marhoul was a colossal experience
- Czech director of "The Painted Bird": All it takes here is to be different and you've got a problem
- Slovak President Čaputová awards Romani doctor and human rights activist with state honors
- Michal Mižigár wins the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award 2019
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 19:00 CET: "Light in the Darkness" - Romani community gives awards in Slovakia
- Lifeguard gets state honors from Czech President for injuries sustained in brawl that sparked ultra-right anti-Romani demonstration
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic