Czech PM Jiří Rusnok to honor the memory of Romani Holocaust victims at Lety
On 1 August 2013 at 20:00 CET a commemorative ceremony and cultural program will take place at the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety. After laying wreaths at the monument to the victims of the Lety camp, those present will be addressed by Czech Prime Minister Jiří Rusnok, by the chair of the Romani Society of Moravia, Karel Holomek, and by a representative of the German Embassy, Robert Klinke.
The second part of the commemorative ceremony will involve Romani songs performed by the musical group Bachtale Apsa with Mário Bihári. Actress and singer Bára Hrzánová will guest-perform with the group.
Participation in this event has been confirmed or promised by the following guests: Czech Foreign Affairs Minister Jan Kohout, Czech Culture Minister Jiří Balvín, Deputy Education Minister Eva Bartoňová, Czech Senator Pavel Eybert, a representative of the US Embassy, South Bohemian Regional Governor Jiří Zimola, Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner Monika Šimůnková, Mayor of Lety Blanka Hlavínová, mayors of the surrounding villages, Christian Democratic Party Vice-Chair Jan Bartošek, and the staff of the Lidice Memorial.
This date in August was chosen for its historical significance. On 1 August 1942 the "gypsy camp" at Lety was established.
On 2 August we commemorate the closing of the Romani concentration camp at Auschwitz, which involved almost 3 000 Romani and Sinti people being executed in one night. In several countries 2 August is correctly considered the "International Day of the Victims of the Romani Holocaust".
On 8 August 1943 the "gypsy camp" at Lety was closed.
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Remembering the Auschwitz Roma Uprising - Roma Resistance Day
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Interior Minister wants stricter checks on the passports held by refugees and changes to the aid offered them
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- LIVE BROADCAST SUNDAY: President of the Czech Senate to attend commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Volunteer aiding refugees from Ukraine in Czech Republic: Institutionalized racism definitively condemns Romani people to a hopeless fate
- Poland: Refugees from Ukraine join March of the Living event at the memorial for the former Nazi death factory at Auschwitz