Analysis: Why Czech ultra-right voters chose Okamura, not the DSSS
Czech Senator Tomio Okamura and his "Dawn of Direct Democracy" (Úsvit přímé demokracie) party won a surprising 6.88 % of the recent vote for the lower house. The party's extreme opinions border on fascism and it is evidently no accident that its name is very similar to that of the Greek right-wing extremist party Golden Dawn.
A couple of years ago Golden Dawn was the third most popular party in Greece. The economic crisis there brought them into parliament.
The very poor economic situation of many Czech people is precisely what lies behind the surprising electoral success of Okamura's Úsvit. The party primarily attracted voters through its antigypsyism and extreme populist opinions.
Senator Okamura is very well aware that his Asian appearance is a certain "handicap" in the eyes of some racist voters here. That is why he has been doing his best to balance that "handicap" with opinions that are more racist than those of many other politicians, and racists have accepted him, to a certain degree, as a Czech patriot.
The almost 7 % success for Okamura's party sharply contrasts with the blindingly obvious failure of the right-wing extremist DSSS, which got 0.86 % of the vote. The programs of these parties are practically identical on several points.
While DSSS chair Tomáš Vandas attempted to change the image of the DSSS as a right-wing extremist party, some of whose leading representatives are demonstrably linked to football hooligans, neo-Nazis and street brawlers, he failed. That is probably the main reason some of the DSSS voters have now chosen the gentlemanly Okamura - his anti-Romani, racist rhetoric is greatly similar to that of the DSSS, but unlike them, his slate is clean when it comes to neo-Nazi ties.
- Czech Republic: Romani people discuss whether the approach of Afrofuturism could empower them
- Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Commentary: The value of life in Central Europe depends on skin color
- Sweden: Three neo-Nazis charged with committing bomb attacks after training in Russia
- Finland investigating racist commentaries shared on Facebook by police officers
- Czech Govt report: Half of Romani population are middle class, half in social exclusion
- Ukraine: Non-Romani politician charged with shooting one Romani man dead during pogrom and wounding four others
- Julius Zajac: Czechs and Romani people don't like each other
- Czech-French film features young Romani actor in lead role
- Czech court gives vandals of businesses in the "HateFree Zone" suspended sentences
- Harvard survey over 15 years finds Czechs are Europe's biggest racists, critics question its methodology
Tags:DSSS, Fascism, Neo-Nazism, Racism, Tomio Okamura, Election 2013, Czech Republic
Together We Can: Staffer of youth drop-in center says differences between Czech and Romani youth are minimal18.6.2017 10:02
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.