Analysis: Why Czech ultra-right voters chose Okamura, not the DSSS
Czech Senator Tomio Okamura and his "Dawn of Direct Democracy" (Úsvit přímé demokracie) party won a surprising 6.88 % of the recent vote for the lower house. The party's extreme opinions border on fascism and it is evidently no accident that its name is very similar to that of the Greek right-wing extremist party Golden Dawn.
A couple of years ago Golden Dawn was the third most popular party in Greece. The economic crisis there brought them into parliament.
The very poor economic situation of many Czech people is precisely what lies behind the surprising electoral success of Okamura's Úsvit. The party primarily attracted voters through its antigypsyism and extreme populist opinions.
Senator Okamura is very well aware that his Asian appearance is a certain "handicap" in the eyes of some racist voters here. That is why he has been doing his best to balance that "handicap" with opinions that are more racist than those of many other politicians, and racists have accepted him, to a certain degree, as a Czech patriot.
The almost 7 % success for Okamura's party sharply contrasts with the blindingly obvious failure of the right-wing extremist DSSS, which got 0.86 % of the vote. The programs of these parties are practically identical on several points.
While DSSS chair Tomáš Vandas attempted to change the image of the DSSS as a right-wing extremist party, some of whose leading representatives are demonstrably linked to football hooligans, neo-Nazis and street brawlers, he failed. That is probably the main reason some of the DSSS voters have now chosen the gentlemanly Okamura - his anti-Romani, racist rhetoric is greatly similar to that of the DSSS, but unlike them, his slate is clean when it comes to neo-Nazi ties.
- Alena Gronzíková: Romale, don't be lazy, vote! Otherwise Okamura will govern us!
- Czech party apparently trolled into posting photo of its leader on Facebook with Nazi swastika
- Czech Police report low turnout for ultra-right event featuring speaker convicted of the racially-motivated murder of a Romani man
- Czech Police say threats to "bring Roma children to justice" are not criminal
- Jan Horváth: We need a better President of the Czech Republic. Kampel amenge feder prezidentos
- Czech Christian Democratic MEPs file criminal charges against Czech MP Okamura for defamation and harming their good name
- Czech Police charge man who urged daughter to practice beating Muslims or Romani people with a baseball bat
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- Czech extremists abuse LGBT pride march in town of Plzeň but fail to block it
- Slovak President Kiska calls on voters to remove Fascists from office
- Commentary: Czech politician takes photo with extremists who have records of racist violence
Tags:DSSS, Fascism, Neo-Nazism, Racism, Tomio Okamura, Election 2013, Czech Republic
Czech company that owns pig farm on Roma genocide site will appeal order to return subsidy due to EU anti-fraud investigation11.10.2017 16:21
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.