Analysis: Why Czech ultra-right voters chose Okamura, not the DSSS
Czech Senator Tomio Okamura and his "Dawn of Direct Democracy" (Úsvit přímé demokracie) party won a surprising 6.88 % of the recent vote for the lower house. The party's extreme opinions border on fascism and it is evidently no accident that its name is very similar to that of the Greek right-wing extremist party Golden Dawn.
A couple of years ago Golden Dawn was the third most popular party in Greece. The economic crisis there brought them into parliament.
The very poor economic situation of many Czech people is precisely what lies behind the surprising electoral success of Okamura's Úsvit. The party primarily attracted voters through its antigypsyism and extreme populist opinions.
Senator Okamura is very well aware that his Asian appearance is a certain "handicap" in the eyes of some racist voters here. That is why he has been doing his best to balance that "handicap" with opinions that are more racist than those of many other politicians, and racists have accepted him, to a certain degree, as a Czech patriot.
The almost 7 % success for Okamura's party sharply contrasts with the blindingly obvious failure of the right-wing extremist DSSS, which got 0.86 % of the vote. The programs of these parties are practically identical on several points.
While DSSS chair Tomáš Vandas attempted to change the image of the DSSS as a right-wing extremist party, some of whose leading representatives are demonstrably linked to football hooligans, neo-Nazis and street brawlers, he failed. That is probably the main reason some of the DSSS voters have now chosen the gentlemanly Okamura - his anti-Romani, racist rhetoric is greatly similar to that of the DSSS, but unlike them, his slate is clean when it comes to neo-Nazi ties.
- Czech Neo-Nazis say they want to "enforce the law" - even as they break it
- Bulgarian man who abused Romani youth convicted of racially-motivated attack
- Commentary: Czech anti-immigrant MP has a math problem
- USA: Protests against police violence continue, resulting in hundreds of arrests
- Half of the Roma in the Czech Republic live in social exclusion, members of the middle class face ethnic intolerance
- UK: Number of attacks on East European and Muslim immigrants grows by 42 % since the referendum
- USA: African-American sniper kills five white police officers in Dallas after two African-American civilians killed by police elsewhere
- England: Arsonists attack Polish family in Plymouth
- Italy: Racist murders refugee who fled Boko Haram
- Czech Republic: Roma report racism to Facebook after calls for "gypsies" to be set on fire are posted
- UK: "No More Polish Vermin" - adherents of Brexit assault foreigners on the streets
- USA: Neo-Nazis, racist KKK clash with opponents in California at demonstration, nine hospitalized
Tags:DSSS, Fascism, Neo-Nazism, Racism, Tomio Okamura, Election 2013, Czech Republic
Czech NGO whose head spreads hatred against Muslims and refugees will continue to work with Govt Agency for Social Inclusion27.7.2016 8:27
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.