Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
"Because of the ongoing viral pandemic, the commemorative ceremony that we annually convene on 13 May at the site of the burial ground of the victims of the concentration camp for Romani people near Lety u Písku is being postponed until a more appropriate time from the standpoint of the Government measures," Čeněk Růžička, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic, told news server Romea.cz on 21 April. During the communist regime in the 1970s, the former location of the camp was partially built over by an industrial pig farm.
The Czech state bought the farm in 2018 from the AGPI company for CZK 450 million [EUR 17.4 million], which had 13 000 pigs there at the time. The camp at Lety, according to historians, was used to imprison 1 308 Romani children, men and women between August 1942 and May 1943, 327 of whom died there and more than 500 of whom ended up at the Auschwitz death camp.
The administrator of the memorials to the Romani victims of the Holocaust at the sites of both Protectorate-era concentration camps for Romani people in the Czech Republic, the Museum of Romani Culture, plans to demolish the buildings of the defunct farm at Lety this year and, together with the relatives of the victims of the camp, to finalize the design for the form of the reverential arrangements at the site of the former camp. In the year 2023 the former site of the camp will be opened to the public.
- Speaker of the Czech Senate and Romani representative on the importance of Holocaust commemoration for ROMEA TV
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Commemorative ceremony at the memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani victims in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism will be held on Sunday, 1 August at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech local archive publishes digitalized records online of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Memorial gathering at the site of Stanislav Tomáš's encounter with Czech Police turns into protest march stopped by riot units at police station
- ROMEA TV WILL BROADCAST LIVE 14:00 CET: Memorial gathering for Stanislav Tomáš in Teplice, Czech Republic
- Čeněk Růžička: I know I wouldn't survive even three minutes of a knee to the neck, to say nothing of six, mainly because of stress
- Romani community turns site of young man's death in Czech town into a place of reverence
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony
- Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
- Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy