Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
"Because of the ongoing viral pandemic, the commemorative ceremony that we annually convene on 13 May at the site of the burial ground of the victims of the concentration camp for Romani people near Lety u Písku is being postponed until a more appropriate time from the standpoint of the Government measures," Čeněk Růžička, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic, told news server Romea.cz on 21 April. During the communist regime in the 1970s, the former location of the camp was partially built over by an industrial pig farm.
The Czech state bought the farm in 2018 from the AGPI company for CZK 450 million [EUR 17.4 million], which had 13 000 pigs there at the time. The camp at Lety, according to historians, was used to imprison 1 308 Romani children, men and women between August 1942 and May 1943, 327 of whom died there and more than 500 of whom ended up at the Auschwitz death camp.
The administrator of the memorials to the Romani victims of the Holocaust at the sites of both Protectorate-era concentration camps for Romani people in the Czech Republic, the Museum of Romani Culture, plans to demolish the buildings of the defunct farm at Lety this year and, together with the relatives of the victims of the camp, to finalize the design for the form of the reverential arrangements at the site of the former camp. In the year 2023 the former site of the camp will be opened to the public.
- Speaker of the Czech Senate and Romani representative on the importance of Holocaust commemoration for ROMEA TV
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- LIVE BROADCAST SUNDAY: President of the Czech Senate to attend commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Czech town unveils 15 "Stones of the Disappeared" to honor Holocaust victims
- Czech ex-lawmaker gets six months, suspended for one year, for his remark about the WWII-era concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku
- Annual commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, will honor the memory of the Jewish and Romani victims of Nazism on 8 May
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from man responsible for desecrating memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani victims at Lety
- Czech Govt raises minimum levels of income baselines for benefit calculations this month by 10 %, still less than actual inflation
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities Ján Hero: Census numbers do not reflect the actual number of Romani men and women here
- Former Czech MP faces prosecution for his remarks about a "pseudo-concentration camp" for Romani people at Lety
- Andrea Bučková's time as Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma is over, new Plenipotentiary is Ján Hero