Another Czech hate crime? Homeless man murdered in Prague
A 43-year-old homeless man died this morning at the Hradčanská tram stop in Prague after being assaulted by an aggressive man who kicked and punched him. Police are now searching for the attacker, who faces up to 16 years in prison if convicted of committing grievous bodily harm resulting in death.
Jana Rösslerová, spokesperson for the Prague Police, informed the Czech News Agency that the assailant brutally attacked the homeless man just before 7 AM as he was lying on the ground before leaving in the direction of Vítězné náměstí. "Today at a few minutes before 7 AM a man called emergency services who witnessed the attack on a 43-year-old homeless man at the Hradčanská tram stop. He described to operators how an aggressive, unidentified man kicked and punched a prone homeless man in a very brutal way and then left, heading in the direction of Vítězné náměstí. All available patrols immediately went to the scene including emergency medical technicians, who did everything they could to provide the seriously injured victim with first aid," Rösslerová said.
The victim fell unconscious several minutes later and was pronounced dead by a doctor at 7:45 AM. "The case has been taken up by detectives from the first department of the Prague Regional Police Directorate, who suspect the still-unidentified assailant of felony grievous bodily harm resulting in death, for which he faces up to 16 years in prison should he be apprehended and convicted," Rösslerová said.
For the time being it is unclear what the motivation was for the attack and whether it was a violent hate crime. Detectives are looking for the assailant and asking the public for their cooperation.
The man was described as being between 30 and 35 years old, between 175 and 180 cm tall, and of medium build. He had rather long dreadlocks but his head was shaved around the ears.
At the time of the attack the perpetrator was wearing camouflage pants, a brown t-shirt, and black gloves. Anyone with information about this incident should call the toll-free hotline 158 or any police station.
- Czech Regional Court returns online hate speech case about death threats against first-graders to lower court, more evidence needed
- Scottish court convicts traffickers of exploiting young women
- Czech court gives suspended sentences and fines to "Bloc against Islamicization" followers over death threats to random pedestrians
- Germany: Vandals cut down tree honoring victims of neo-Nazi terrorists
- Hate Killer 3000! campaign reminds bystanders in the Czech Republic how to stand up to hate
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free
- Czech Police investigating hateful online comments inciting violence against Czech Radio reporter that were sparked by politician
- Czech town plans to demolish real estate rented to the socially vulnerable after altercation between long-term residents and newcomers
- † 13. 5. 1995: Tibor Berki
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Romani newcomers to Czech town decide to relocate after altercation and protest - despite police protection