Assistant to Czech MP fined for calling for migrants to be shot, he may appeal
Michal Kraft, an advisor and assistant to Czech MP Jaroslav Foldyna, has been fined for publishing an article inciting hatred against migrants, according to the Czech daily Deník N, and if he were to appeal the verdict, a public trial would be held. "A court order was issued in this matter that has yet to take effect, and for that reason I will not be commenting further," court spokesperson Jana Špotová told the media.
Špotová did not want to specify what kind of punishment the judge had levied against Kraft. According to Deník N, Kraft has been fined several tens of thousands of Czech crowns.
The defendant has confirmed receipt of the sentence. "Yes, the court issued its decision in August," Kraft said when contacted.
He did not want to comment on the severity of the punishment or on whether he would appeal. "I have nothing more to say to you about this," he is quoted as saying.
According to the court, Kraft has several days in which to appeal. Foldyna, who left the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD) in February to become a member of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" (SPD) club in the lower house, previously said that while he disagreed with some of his assistant's opinions, the article in question did not bother him.
A former secretary of the SPD, Jaroslav Staník, was also convicted by court order two years ago for racist remarks he made in the restaurant located on the grounds of the Chamber of Deputies. He appealed and eventually was sentenced to one year's probation after a public trial.
- Regional candidate for newest Czech party featured in music video by infamous establisher of neo-Nazi movement
- Czech bus driver refuses to drive city bus with bigoted campaign ad, mayor negotiates its removal
- Czech MP publishes long-refuted fake video purporting to show "refugees" attacking a police vehicle
- Facebook says it may disallow pages of far-right Czech party and its leaders
- Czech Interior Ministry report finds far-right party was the "super spreader" of hate last year
- Russia claims to be "concerned" about the very neo-Nazis they support in the Czech Republic
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- Commentary: The opponents of racism are racists - current and former Czech Presidents show their anti-democratic colors to the world
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Commentary: Czech right-wing populists close to destroying lifesaving social protections
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism