Authorities return confiscated Czech-Romani flags to artist after acquittal
Prague, 27.1.2015 0:21, (ROMEA)
The artist Tomáš Rafa shows one of the designs for a Czech-Romani flag. The confiscated flags were returned to him on 26 January 2015. (PHOTO: František Bikár)
The story of the art project called "Selection Procedure for a Czech-Romani Flag", which was exhibited during the summer of 2013 at the outdoor Artwall Gallery in Prague on the Edvard Beneš embankment of the Vltava River has now ended with both misdemeanor proceedings that were opened against artist Tomáš Rafa ending in acquittal. "I am startled by the fact that discussions have once again erupted that are evidently being incited by ultra-right groups, because they still keep talking about this art project as having endangered the statehood of the Czech Republic or its state symbol. This was an anti-racist project that intended to support the unity of everyone in the Czech Republic," Rafa told news server Romea.cz.
"This topic is very current, we can see for ourselves what is going on in Germany, where protests are being organized against multicultural society. However, we also see that 5 000 people there turn out against a multicultural society, and 30 000 turn out in favor of it. I would like to see something like that here in the Czech Republic or in Slovakia - to see that we care about coexistence and a common future based not on violence, but on understanding," the artist said.
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Czech President's nominee for ombudsman says he would not deal with discrimination against Roma if chosen because that's what the courts are for
- Petr Kotlár: Filming with Václav Marhoul was a colossal experience
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- LIVE BROADCAST: Gala awards ceremony Tajsa 2019 for Roma in the arts and culture
- For a third time, Slovak court acquits police of brutalizing Romani children a decade ago, prosecutor appealing
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- Czech trial begins of brutal, allegedly racially-motivated assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
Tags:Česko-romská vlajka, Culture, Soud, Tomáš Rafa
19.5.2020 16:22full story