Barbora Ellen Bilá: I want to go to college and make my grandfather's last wish come true
Barbora Ellen Bilá is a 17-year-old student of business and economics in the Czech Republic who is aiming for a career in international business. Before that, though, she would like to complete high school and then college, which she is doing with the help of a scholarship from the Romani Scholarship Program.
In an interview for Romea.cz, Bilá revealed that she promised her grandfather, who supported her in her studies and believed in her, that she would earn a college degree. As part of her scholarship, she has been attending the BARUVAS program, which aids Romani students with forming bonds and establishing contacts, and she describes the experience as follows: "At BARUVAS I got to know many amazing people who have become important to me. I also got information about opportunities to study abroad."
The ROMEA organization's scholarship program is not just about financial aid during one's studies. Other components of the program are educational supports in the form of tutoring, the ability to take extracurricular courses, and the regular BARUVAS student meetings.
Students not only educate themselves further at those meetings, but have an opportunity to get to know each other and establish relationships across the country. "The ROMEA organization is also assisting me with buying textbooks, workbooks and other aids," Bilá said.
On 8 April, ROMEA launched a new campaign entitled "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" responding to the stereotypical opinions about Romani students that appear on social media. You can watch that video here.
You, too, can support Romani scholarship recipients and show the haters they are wrong!!! To donate, click here.
- ROMEA gives 94 Romani students at Czech colleges and high schools scholarships, program is in its fifth year
- Romani college graduate in Czech Republic plans to become an educator himself
- Romani college prep student in Czech Republic and ROMEA scholarship recipient hopes to become a dentist someday
- Romani student at Czech college prep school learns about Romani history through BARUVAS student meetings
- Czech Republic: The English College in Prague fundraises for Romani student scholarship
- International stipends for Romani college students open
- Czech Republic: Romani college student almost sent to "special" school as a child
- Young Roma prepare for college but can’t visit discos in Prague
- Romani students in the Czech Republic can apply for ROMEA scholarships once again this year
- Czech artists donate works to charity auction for Romani scholarships
- Czech primary school hires private security, ROMEA organization offers aid to the management
- Drop-in youth club in Czech town teaches fair play through foosball
- Czech capital sees gathering of Romani students awarded scholarships by the ROMEA organization
- 15th BARUVAS meeting in the Czech Republic for Romani students features theater performance about Romani history
- Romani college and high school students motivate Romani pupils in excluded localities of the Czech Republic to continue their studies
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- Czech NGO ROMEA offering Romani students another scholarship opportunity
- Romani scholarship recipient plans to work on AI at Czech university
- "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" ROMEA launches campaign to support Romani scholarship program
- Romani students in the Czech Republic can apply to ROMEA for scholarships in June