Bátora wrote editorial for fascist magazine
Ladislav Bátora, a high-ranking bureaucrat at the Czech Education Ministry, has been downplaying his ties to the extreme right. Czech daily Mf DNES reports today that those ties are actually much deeper than Bátora has admitted. The proof is the existence of an editorial he authored for the most recent edition of "National Idea" (Národní myšlenka), a magazine promoting fascism. The editorial was published last December just before Bátora started working in a high-level position at the ministry.
"The most recent issue revealed a strong tie to the trend of contemporary Italian neo-fascism. 'Národní myšlenka' has radicalized to a great extent recently," says political scientist Miroslav Mareš, an expert witness on extremism.
Bátora's December 2010 article is called "On Quasi-Sanitary Hyenas". The text deals with Czech journalists. Even now, Bátora makes no secret of his support for 'Národní myšlenka' on the website of the civic association of the same name, which features texts with titles such as "Anthropologist Kalousek harassing the human races" or "Munichism and gayism".
Bátora also lectured at least four times about the history of Japan during WWII and the Rwandan genocide at events organized by the Patriotic Front (Vlastenecká fronta). "That organization has been included on the government's list of extremist organizations every year since 1994. It hasn't missed a year. They shared a P. O. BOX with the Bohemia Hammer Skins organization. The neo-Nazi band Zášť 88 (Hate 88) played at their founding meeting," says Ondřej Cakl, who maps the extremist scene.
One of Bátora's lectures was attended by people such as Patrik Vondrák of the court-dissolved Workers' Party (Dělnická strana). Vondrák was arrested by police during a raid on neo-Nazis after the Vítkov arson attack. Erik Sedláček, the convener of an attempted march through Prague's Jewish Town on the anniversary of Kristallnacht, also attended a lecture by Bátora. Petr Kalinovský, spokesperson for the neo-Nazi National Resistance (Národní odpor) organization, led that lecture.
Even though it is evident that Bátora has been a member of the extremist community for many years, he has been very careful about his statements and has never said anything which might result in criminal prosecution for promoting racism. Czech Education Minister Dobeš has referenced this fact and considers it offensive to label Bátora as linked to neo-Nazis.
- ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
- Czech Republic: Gypsy Spirit prize being revived by private foundations
- Did the Czech President invite an anti-Semitic extremist to Prague Castle?
- Czech election results in Romani neighborhoods
- Czech Republic: 50 anti-minority racists march in Plzeň, 60 Roma stand up to them
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis attempt pogrom in Ostrava, 500 Roma march against them
- Czech President: More police needed in areas of conflict
- Czech Republic: No Romani candidates seated, populist Dawn (Úsvit) gets 7 % of the vote
- The long road of active resistance to racist marches in the Czech Republic
- Czech elections: Social Democrats gain only slight lead over ANO 2011
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis to march on state holiday Monday
- Czech Republic: Perpetrators of machete attack get up to 17.5 years
Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable17.3.2017 15:03
Patrik Banga: I'm for collecting ethnic data in all areas, but the majority can't tell who is Romani17.3.2017 10:17
discussion about whether estimating the numbers of Romani people should even happen and if so, what the appropriate method is to use.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.