Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
The Association of Czechoslovak Roma in Canada says it is not possbile for a xenophobic band to be part of Czech show business and receive public support from Czech celebrities. Romani emigrés living Canada have taken a stand in favor of the singer Radek Banga, who recently left in protest during the "Czech Nightingale" awards ceremony together with several other performers after the xenophobic music group Ortel won an award.
"The Association of Czechoslovak Roma in Canada fully supports the disagreement and protest expressed by the Romani singer Radek Banga, alias Gipsy, who left the theater during the Český Slavík Mattoni awards ceremony when the second-place result was announced for the racist Ortel group," Karolína Bánomová told news server Romea.cz. "We disagree that a strongly xenophobic band and any other xenophobic artwork might be part of Czech show business and also Czech society. We cannot stay silent when such dangerous precedents as hatred and xenophobia are publicly supported by Czech celebrities," she said, referring to the statements made by celebrities Lucie Bílá and Lucie Vondráčková, who have indirectly stood up for the xenophobic music group.
"We live in a beautiful country where we should respect each other. The gesture by Radek Banga was quite unnecessary. Some things are not said publicly, but should be said privately," Bílá said after the awards were announced, later adding that: "I don't know Ortel's work and I am not here to moralize or preach about who belongs where or not. If the laws or the state allow it, then the band has a right to freedom of speech and the fans also have the right to send in their votes. Yes, you're right, I'm an all-embracing nerd, but I don't intend to change."
Both Radek Banga and his brother Patrik have become a target for racist attacks from fans of the Ortel band since the protest. Racists have also threatened to burn down the offices of news server Romea.cz.
- Czech Republic: Canadian education expert says only an inclusive school is a really good school
- Czech Republic: Canadian Ambassador attends International Romani Day event, embassy displays Romani flag
- Karel Holomek: Migration crisis not new, Roma migrated from Slovakia post-WWII and to Canada post-1989
- Inclusive education in Canada is a reality
- Canada: High percentage of indigenous people among murder victims
- Canadian airline could be sued for not honoring tickets purchased by Romani passengers
- Canada now accepting more Roma asylum-seekers from Hungary as evidence of persecution accumulates
- Canadian Muslims condemn Islamist radical violence, now face increased aggression themselves
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Vojtěch Pačan: The gadje turned out in person for the Prague demonstration, but Romani people only express their criticism on Facebook
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Slovak ultra-right MP tried for extremism after making xenophobic remarks about Roma
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide desecrated with pig's head
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Czech MP spreads disinformation alleging that Florida school shooter was an Antifa member
- Czech police officer who brutally assaulted Romani workers now on trial
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
Tags:Kanada, Ortel, Radek Banga, Racism
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.