Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
The Association of Czechoslovak Roma in Canada says it is not possbile for a xenophobic band to be part of Czech show business and receive public support from Czech celebrities. Romani emigrés living Canada have taken a stand in favor of the singer Radek Banga, who recently left in protest during the "Czech Nightingale" awards ceremony together with several other performers after the xenophobic music group Ortel won an award.
"The Association of Czechoslovak Roma in Canada fully supports the disagreement and protest expressed by the Romani singer Radek Banga, alias Gipsy, who left the theater during the Český Slavík Mattoni awards ceremony when the second-place result was announced for the racist Ortel group," Karolína Bánomová told news server Romea.cz. "We disagree that a strongly xenophobic band and any other xenophobic artwork might be part of Czech show business and also Czech society. We cannot stay silent when such dangerous precedents as hatred and xenophobia are publicly supported by Czech celebrities," she said, referring to the statements made by celebrities Lucie Bílá and Lucie Vondráčková, who have indirectly stood up for the xenophobic music group.
"We live in a beautiful country where we should respect each other. The gesture by Radek Banga was quite unnecessary. Some things are not said publicly, but should be said privately," Bílá said after the awards were announced, later adding that: "I don't know Ortel's work and I am not here to moralize or preach about who belongs where or not. If the laws or the state allow it, then the band has a right to freedom of speech and the fans also have the right to send in their votes. Yes, you're right, I'm an all-embracing nerd, but I don't intend to change."
Both Radek Banga and his brother Patrik have become a target for racist attacks from fans of the Ortel band since the protest. Racists have also threatened to burn down the offices of news server Romea.cz.
- Czech Republic: Canadian education expert says only an inclusive school is a really good school
- Czech Republic: Canadian Ambassador attends International Romani Day event, embassy displays Romani flag
- Karel Holomek: Migration crisis not new, Roma migrated from Slovakia post-WWII and to Canada post-1989
- Inclusive education in Canada is a reality
- Canada: High percentage of indigenous people among murder victims
- Canadian airline could be sued for not honoring tickets purchased by Romani passengers
- Canada now accepting more Roma asylum-seekers from Hungary as evidence of persecution accumulates
- Canadian Muslims condemn Islamist radical violence, now face increased aggression themselves
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to father who filmed himself instructing child to beat pillow and "Imagine it's a Gypsy"
- Ultra-right marks Velvet Revolution by racially abusing Czech TV reporters, Arabs and Muslims
- Crime report filed after Czech politician calls for murder of minorities
- Jolana Šmarhovyčová: Roma in the Czech Republic are demotivated because employers reject even educated Roma
- ROMEA raises funds to support Czech school subjected to racist attacks online
- Marie Siváková: Reaction of an ordinary Roma/Czech woman to President's allegation that 90 % of "inadaptables" are Romani
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on voters not to re-elect Zeman
- Czech President says 90 % of "inadaptable citizens" are Romani
- Racially-motivated attack by football fans on African man on a tram in the Czech capital - nobody came to his aid
- UN tells Czech Republic to improve Romani integration, compensate illegally sterilized women
- Czech court will soon try yet another person who sent death threats to Romani singer
- Czech MP, embittered by his party's loss, curses news server Romea.cz and Roma in general
Tags:Kanada, Ortel, Radek Banga, Racism
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.