Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
The Association of Czechoslovak Roma in Canada says it is not possbile for a xenophobic band to be part of Czech show business and receive public support from Czech celebrities. Romani emigrés living Canada have taken a stand in favor of the singer Radek Banga, who recently left in protest during the "Czech Nightingale" awards ceremony together with several other performers after the xenophobic music group Ortel won an award.
"The Association of Czechoslovak Roma in Canada fully supports the disagreement and protest expressed by the Romani singer Radek Banga, alias Gipsy, who left the theater during the Český Slavík Mattoni awards ceremony when the second-place result was announced for the racist Ortel group," Karolína Bánomová told news server Romea.cz. "We disagree that a strongly xenophobic band and any other xenophobic artwork might be part of Czech show business and also Czech society. We cannot stay silent when such dangerous precedents as hatred and xenophobia are publicly supported by Czech celebrities," she said, referring to the statements made by celebrities Lucie Bílá and Lucie Vondráčková, who have indirectly stood up for the xenophobic music group.
"We live in a beautiful country where we should respect each other. The gesture by Radek Banga was quite unnecessary. Some things are not said publicly, but should be said privately," Bílá said after the awards were announced, later adding that: "I don't know Ortel's work and I am not here to moralize or preach about who belongs where or not. If the laws or the state allow it, then the band has a right to freedom of speech and the fans also have the right to send in their votes. Yes, you're right, I'm an all-embracing nerd, but I don't intend to change."
Both Radek Banga and his brother Patrik have become a target for racist attacks from fans of the Ortel band since the protest. Racists have also threatened to burn down the offices of news server Romea.cz.
- Czech Republic: Canadian education expert says only an inclusive school is a really good school
- Czech Republic: Canadian Ambassador attends International Romani Day event, embassy displays Romani flag
- Karel Holomek: Migration crisis not new, Roma migrated from Slovakia post-WWII and to Canada post-1989
- Inclusive education in Canada is a reality
- Canada: High percentage of indigenous people among murder victims
- Canadian airline could be sued for not honoring tickets purchased by Romani passengers
- Canada now accepting more Roma asylum-seekers from Hungary as evidence of persecution accumulates
- Canadian Muslims condemn Islamist radical violence, now face increased aggression themselves
- Harvard survey over 15 years finds Czechs are Europe's biggest racists, critics question its methodology
- Czech Republic: Romani people who responded to racist innuendo by giving the Nazi salute face up to three years in prison
- Czech cashier with Nazi swastika tattoo fired by Kaufland, could be charged
- Czech Olympic athlete: Neo-Nazi opinions are being made dangerously palatable today
- Czech tabloid falls for journalists' trap, publishes absurd conspiracies and fake news without fact-checking
- Czech Television broadcasts documentary films for International Romani Day, producer reveals his Romani roots
- Julius Zajac: Ideological extremism is no longer "rising" - it's already here
- Slovak Romani people travelling to visit relatives not allowed on planes in Warsaw, some have lost their life savings
- Czech Republic: Parents of children who killed flamingo have apologized and will pay damages
- ROMEA reports 10+ criminal incidents involving racist commentaries and threats on Facebook to the Czech Police
- Slovak neo-Nazi and MP Milan Mazurek prosecuted for racist remarks about Roma
- Children stone flamingo to death in zoo, Czech Internet users blame all Roma, protest march scheduled
Tags:Kanada, Ortel, Radek Banga, Racism
videoSlovakia: Romani politician says if video of police brutality did not exist, authorities would probably have never investigated28.5.2017 13:19
the scene and today it is anticipated that his criminal prosecution will begin and that a motion will be filed to remand him into custody on suspicion of murder.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.