Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
The annual traditional commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, which is always held on 13 May, will be postponed this year to a later date because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Čeněk Růžička, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Romani Holocaust, announced the change of plans to news server Romea.cz.
"Please allow the relatives of the Romani victims of Nazism to inform you that because of the viral pandemic, the commemorative ceremony traditionally organized by us at the burial site of the victims of the concentration camp at Lety u Písku is being postponed," Růžička's message said. Until recently an industrial pig farm was in operation on the site of the former concentration camp there.
After many years of attempts, the farm was finally bought out by the state recently and the grounds are currently administered by the Museum of Romani Culture in Brno, which is planning to build a new memorial and a visitor center with an exhibition and lecture hall at the site. According to historians, 1 308 Romani people passed through the concentration camp.
Those imprisoned at the camp were children, men and women. At least 327 of them died there, most succumbing to an epidemic of typhus, while more than 500 were deported to Auschwitz.
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- Scientists confirm COVID-19 evolved in nature
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Hundreds of Romani people from around the Czech Republic and Europe to attend 13 May ceremony at Lety by Písek
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety by Písek
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Czech Romani group objects to reading names of Holocaust victims who were Romani, those organizing commemorations disagree
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected
- UK quarantine for travelers arriving from Czech Republic begins tomorrow