Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
The annual traditional commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, which is always held on 13 May, will be postponed this year to a later date because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Čeněk Růžička, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Romani Holocaust, announced the change of plans to news server Romea.cz.
"Please allow the relatives of the Romani victims of Nazism to inform you that because of the viral pandemic, the commemorative ceremony traditionally organized by us at the burial site of the victims of the concentration camp at Lety u Písku is being postponed," Růžička's message said. Until recently an industrial pig farm was in operation on the site of the former concentration camp there.
After many years of attempts, the farm was finally bought out by the state recently and the grounds are currently administered by the Museum of Romani Culture in Brno, which is planning to build a new memorial and a visitor center with an exhibition and lecture hall at the site. According to historians, 1 308 Romani people passed through the concentration camp.
Those imprisoned at the camp were children, men and women. At least 327 of them died there, most succumbing to an epidemic of typhus, while more than 500 were deported to Auschwitz.
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- Scientists confirm COVID-19 evolved in nature
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Hundreds of Romani people from around the Czech Republic and Europe to attend 13 May ceremony at Lety by Písek
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety by Písek
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- First Czech translation of Holocaust survivor Philomena Franz's memoirs being released
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Commemorative ceremony at the memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani victims in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Grandson of famous Czechoslovak partisan from the Romani community says his grandfather was a hero
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Prague 8 municipality marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day by flying Romani flag
- Traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism will be held on Sunday, 1 August at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic