Čeněk Růžička: We demand review of the police procedure over Okamura's defamation of Romani Holocaust victims
The chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Romani Holocaust (Výbor pro odškodnění romského holocaustu - VPORH) Čeněk Růžička,, the ROMEA organization, Michal Miko of the Slovo 21 association and Miroslav Kováč of the Equal Opportunities Party (Strana rovných příležitostí - SRP) have sent the District State Prosecutor for Prague 5 a motion to review the police procedure in the investigation of a report that Tomio Okamura, chair of the "Dawn of Direct Democracy" movement (Úsvit), committed the felony of denying, questioning, approving and justifying genocide. "In this matter we must take advantage of all the options afforded us by law. We cannot close our eyes to the kind of defamation of the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust that Tomio Okamura has perpetrated," Růžička previously told news server Romea.cz.
On the eve of Roma Genocide Remembrance Day earlier this year, Okamura trampled on the memory of the victims of the camp at Lety by Písek when, in a statement for the political tabloid ParlamentniListy.cz, he spoke of the camp as a "lie and a myth". Okamura claimed no one had been killed in the camp and that its prisoners had died as a result of old age and diseases they themselves brought into the camp beacuse of their previous traveling lifestyle.
Police sent a response of several brief paragraphs to those who had reported the crime, stating that they had performed a "qualified evaluation" of the criminal report and that, after undertaking an investigation, they had come to the conclusion that "facts did not come to light that would reasonably suggest a crime has been committed." Police decided to act outside the framework of a criminal proceedings in this case, using a measure that would not be subjected to any formal requirements.
The police have not provided any sort of justification for their decision and it is not, therefore, possible to evaluate whether the officers involved actually did thoroughly investigate the case. Mr Růžička, the ROMEA organization, Mr Miko and Mr Kováč reject the police's conclusions and are convinced that their procedure for evaluating this criminal report was incorrect.
Those who reported the crime also emphasize that they themselves had already referred to the necessary facts in their criminal report. Specific historical and scholarly resources as well as the jurisprudence of international courts testify to the illegality of Okamura's behavior.
- Czech Police say MP's remarks about concentration camp for Roma not criminal
- Letter addressed to the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic on Mr Okamura's statement on the Lety camp
- Czech MPs who ran on Okamura's candidate list now protesting his Romani Holocaust denial
- Čeněk Růžička: Okamura and those like him speak the language of criminals
- Czech Human Rights Minister: Okamura must resign
- Czech MP Okamura insults Romani victims of the Holocaust, media and politicians sharply criticize him
- Fedor Gál: Politicians like Okamura make me anxious
- Analysis: Why Czech ultra-right voters chose Okamura, not the DSSS
- Commentary: Czech Senator Okamura’s view of people in need
- Commentary: My attempted interview with Czech Senator Okamura
- Commentary: Why I don't want Tomio Okamura for President of the Czech Republic
- Czech capital sees commemoration of parachutists who assassinated Nazi leader in 1942
- Třebíč, Czech Republic commemorates anniversary of Holocaust transports from there
- Commentary: Terezin commemoration this year was a travesty, civil society group calls for director's dismissal
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- Czech Police apprehend youth who desecrated Romani genocide memorial with pig's head
- Czech state is now the official owner of the former pig farm at Lety on the Romani genocide site
- Czech Republic: Permission sought from Prostějov to install stones marking Holocaust victims
- Czech demonstration against doubting the genocide of the Roma, hatred and racism
- Czech Republic: Pigs finally leave Romani genocide site
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Czech Justice Minister: State has no solution for social exclusion, Romani children not on an equal footing with others
Tags:Druhá světová válka, Holocaust, Holokaust Romů po Česku, Okamura - popírání romského holocaustu
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.