Commentary: Czech President spouts reassuring nonsense to ultra-nationalists
Czech President Miloš Zeman has distinguished himself yet again. In the greeting he gave recently to the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" (SPD) movement's program conference, he assured the members that they are not extremists, but "radicals".
This statement can be interpreted two ways, neither of which makes any sense. The term "radical" means something that gets to the essence or the root of a matter.
The SPD under Czech MP Tomio Okamura decidedly does not focus on the roots of anything. They are engaged in Fascism, proclaim the coarsest kind of populism, and are so xenophobic it is horrifying.
Their communications have nothing to do with any kind of principle. Okamura & Co. are actually just all about what they claim everybody else is seeking: power, a seat at the pig trough, fiefdoms, benefits for themselves and money in their own pockets.
There is a reason the SPD has been called a movement trafficking in xenophobia. They will do literally anything to acquire power, in particular, persistently proclaiming their hatreds and inciting others against minorities and refugees.
Okamura's followers do not care that they are feeding and stimulating fear in our society - acquiring those fiefdoms is more important. The expressions "radicalism" or "radicals" are also being used in another sense today, though, and that is instead of the terms "extremism" or "extremists".
Journalists, for example, call the neo-Nazi Workers Social Justice Party (DSSS) a "radical" party. Sometimes we read that a follower of a "radical movement" is being investigated for committing a bias crime against somebody Romani, for example, instead of such people being called what they actually are, right-wing extremists.
If that was the meaning Zeman had in mind for the term "radical", then his message was that the SPD is not extremist but radical - i.e., de facto extremist. The statement "You're not extremists, but extremists" is, of course, absurd.
Unfortunately, we must reconcile ourselves to the fact that this is far from the first time Zeman has spoken nonsensically and certainly will not be the last. After all, he has to go down in history for something, right?
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
- US State Department says Czech Republic is grappling with anti-Roma hatred, including from the President
- Czech court sentences Romani man to six months in prison for hate speech against the Czech President and others
- German MP who recently visited Czech President met with South African racists on official visit
- Czech State Security Council takes note of extremism report as originally worded, Czech President did not get his way
- Monika Mihaličková: Czech President should take a look in the mirror and give himself a slap - "gypsy" is an insulting term
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- ROMEA: Czech President has manipulated facts yet again - we can prove 70 % of Romani people in this country work
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates