Commentary: Czech President spouts reassuring nonsense to ultra-nationalists
Czech President Miloš Zeman has distinguished himself yet again. In the greeting he gave recently to the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" (SPD) movement's program conference, he assured the members that they are not extremists, but "radicals".
This statement can be interpreted two ways, neither of which makes any sense. The term "radical" means something that gets to the essence or the root of a matter.
The SPD under Czech MP Tomio Okamura decidedly does not focus on the roots of anything. They are engaged in Fascism, proclaim the coarsest kind of populism, and are so xenophobic it is horrifying.
Their communications have nothing to do with any kind of principle. Okamura & Co. are actually just all about what they claim everybody else is seeking: power, a seat at the pig trough, fiefdoms, benefits for themselves and money in their own pockets.
There is a reason the SPD has been called a movement trafficking in xenophobia. They will do literally anything to acquire power, in particular, persistently proclaiming their hatreds and inciting others against minorities and refugees.
Okamura's followers do not care that they are feeding and stimulating fear in our society - acquiring those fiefdoms is more important. The expressions "radicalism" or "radicals" are also being used in another sense today, though, and that is instead of the terms "extremism" or "extremists".
Journalists, for example, call the neo-Nazi Workers Social Justice Party (DSSS) a "radical" party. Sometimes we read that a follower of a "radical movement" is being investigated for committing a bias crime against somebody Romani, for example, instead of such people being called what they actually are, right-wing extremists.
If that was the meaning Zeman had in mind for the term "radical", then his message was that the SPD is not extremist but radical - i.e., de facto extremist. The statement "You're not extremists, but extremists" is, of course, absurd.
Unfortunately, we must reconcile ourselves to the fact that this is far from the first time Zeman has spoken nonsensically and certainly will not be the last. After all, he has to go down in history for something, right?
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
- US State Department says Czech Republic is grappling with anti-Roma hatred, including from the President
- Czech court sentences Romani man to six months in prison for hate speech against the Czech President and others
- German MP who recently visited Czech President met with South African racists on official visit
- Czech State Security Council takes note of extremism report as originally worded, Czech President did not get his way
- Monika Mihaličková: Czech President should take a look in the mirror and give himself a slap - "gypsy" is an insulting term
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- ROMEA: Czech President has manipulated facts yet again - we can prove 70 % of Romani people in this country work
- Slovak Prosecutor says party head clearly used neo-Nazi symbolism so his followers would know his views
- Assistant to Czech MP fined for calling for migrants to be shot, he may appeal
- Regional candidate for newest Czech party featured in music video by infamous establisher of neo-Nazi movement
- YouTube restores Czech politician's channel but deletes two posts that spread hate
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Czech Television reports that elected politicians' names have been removed from official report on extremism for 2019
- Czech bus driver refuses to drive city bus with bigoted campaign ad, mayor negotiates its removal
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- Czech Police charge author of antigypsyist article about arson for that and other offenses
- Czech NGO ROMEA and vice-chair of Pirates file criminal report over online racist commentaries about arson in Bohumín
- Czech mayor claims all those number 8's in her event have noooothing to do with neo-Nazis
- Facebook says it may disallow pages of far-right Czech party and its leaders