Commentary: Czech President spouts reassuring nonsense to ultra-nationalists
Czech President Miloš Zeman has distinguished himself yet again. In the greeting he gave recently to the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" (SPD) movement's program conference, he assured the members that they are not extremists, but "radicals".
This statement can be interpreted two ways, neither of which makes any sense. The term "radical" means something that gets to the essence or the root of a matter.
The SPD under Czech MP Tomio Okamura decidedly does not focus on the roots of anything. They are engaged in Fascism, proclaim the coarsest kind of populism, and are so xenophobic it is horrifying.
Their communications have nothing to do with any kind of principle. Okamura & Co. are actually just all about what they claim everybody else is seeking: power, a seat at the pig trough, fiefdoms, benefits for themselves and money in their own pockets.
There is a reason the SPD has been called a movement trafficking in xenophobia. They will do literally anything to acquire power, in particular, persistently proclaiming their hatreds and inciting others against minorities and refugees.
Okamura's followers do not care that they are feeding and stimulating fear in our society - acquiring those fiefdoms is more important. The expressions "radicalism" or "radicals" are also being used in another sense today, though, and that is instead of the terms "extremism" or "extremists".
Journalists, for example, call the neo-Nazi Workers Social Justice Party (DSSS) a "radical" party. Sometimes we read that a follower of a "radical movement" is being investigated for committing a bias crime against somebody Romani, for example, instead of such people being called what they actually are, right-wing extremists.
If that was the meaning Zeman had in mind for the term "radical", then his message was that the SPD is not extremist but radical - i.e., de facto extremist. The statement "You're not extremists, but extremists" is, of course, absurd.
Unfortunately, we must reconcile ourselves to the fact that this is far from the first time Zeman has spoken nonsensically and certainly will not be the last. After all, he has to go down in history for something, right?
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
- US State Department says Czech Republic is grappling with anti-Roma hatred, including from the President
- Czech court sentences Romani man to six months in prison for hate speech against the Czech President and others
- German MP who recently visited Czech President met with South African racists on official visit
- Czech State Security Council takes note of extremism report as originally worded, Czech President did not get his way
- Monika Mihaličková: Czech President should take a look in the mirror and give himself a slap - "gypsy" is an insulting term
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- ROMEA: Czech President has manipulated facts yet again - we can prove 70 % of Romani people in this country work
- Czech politician who relies on hatred ties himself in knots over the ultra-right terrorism in Germany
- Germany: Neo-Nazi kills two people near synagogue and kebab place, motivated by antisemitism and right-wing extremism
- Czech court frees women charged with promoting Nazism more than a decade ago
- Czech right-wing extremist and 9/11 apologist cozies up to new movement run by son of former President
- German media report that attacks on immigrants last year in Chemnitz were planned by the radical right
- Slovak MP insulted Romani people and spread xenophobia, loses his seat after being convicted of felony defamation
- Czech ultrachauvinist shares satire online - without getting the joke
- Commentary: Czech Interior Ministry is realizing ultra-nationalist politician is becoming a monster
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people