Commentary: Czech tabloid misinforms public that Romani children in Varnsdorf "don't go to school"
After watching a recently televised interview between the journalist Daniela Drtinová and anthropologist Radka Vepřková about the situation in the Czech town of Varnsdorf, I was curious to see what the tabloid news server Parlamentní listy (PL) was publishing about it - and what I found was no surprise. PL once again has produced its own particular interpretation of what was said, this time cherry-picking from the anthropologist's answers and also directly misquoting her.
"[W]omen, because they frequently have many children, stay home to take care of them and don't enroll them into nursery school," Vepřková says when asked to describe an average day in a Romani settlement, where the men are out at work and the women are home with the children. A little later in the interview she describes how, during her stay with the Romani community, she was pleasantly surprised by how many children were attending school.
PL's interpretation of this is as follows: "What does their regular day look like? The men very frequently go to work for the local technical services. They increase their work status quite a bit by doing so. They go home in their uniforms. The women take care of the children because they don't go to school."
It's difficult to say whether this is just the author's lack of attention to detail, or whether it is an absolutely intentional manipulation. The tabloid only devotes two paragraphs to the interview, but makes room for absolutely marginal "facts" about the community, such as "reports of complaints about noise".
Another sentence - "individual families don't like each other, are unable to get along, and conflicts arise between them" - is also quoted completely out of context. Once again, the editors at PL are busy beating their favorite dead horse.
- Commentary: Czech tabloid quotes Romani man as opposing inclusive education, other Romani representatives respond
- Parent of child with Down Syndrome writes open letter to Czech tabloid waging anti-inclusive education campaign
- Analysis: Czech tabloid launches campaign against inclusive education
- Czech foundation says tabloid is bolstering media hysteria about school reforms
- Yet another Czech tabloid news server perpetrates a racist hoax
- Czech Republic: Open Society Fund explains its financial cooperation with owner of tabloid Extra.cz
- Commentary: Tabloids are based on stupidity, with racism as a side effect
- Former Czech Green Party candidate owns tabloid publishing anti-Roma articles
- Czech MP ignores mayor, visits village that has become a tabloid sensation
- Commentary: The new era of the Czech tabloid martyr
- Commentary: Czech tabloids spark antigypsyism online and off
- Czech tabloid must withdraw article full of lies and racial hatred about Romani children
- Czech tabloid seizes on critique of tv show view of Roma to stir up trouble
- Czech tabloid editor says Romani lifestyle threatens the majority population
- Office of the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Parliament distances itself from tabloid
- Tabloid is platform for ultra-rightists who want Czech President Klaus to head their new party
- Petr Torák rejects media reports of tensions between Pakistanis and Roma in England
- Czech Internet trolls have competition - "elves" are combating disinformation and propaganda
- Czech Television launches new detective serial, "Lynch", about the murder of a young Romani man
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Czech police officer claims to have filmed journalists "staging" migrants drowning, his superiors see nothing wrong with that
- Racists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz
- Czech tabloid will not be inviting ultra-right party representatives to its online debates
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Renata Berkyová: How a Czech gadjo from Reflex magazine couldn't help showing his racism
- Czech politician not to be compensated over nickname, courts say reasonable use of it is allowed
- Czech Police arrest two Romani men for attack on police, confirm media exaggerated the incident
Tags:manipulace, Média, Parlamentní listy, Varnsdorf
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.