Commentary: How to demolish the pig farm at Lety?
"Lety is a problem the resolution of which can naturally be postponed indefinitely. It is not known how much it will cost for the clean-up operation - and over the years that amount has loosely ranged from between roughly CZK 70 million (EUR 2.59 million) to a virtual billion crowns (EUR 37 million) - but it is certain that basically it will never be possible to properly 'calculate' it or compare it to anything that might placed on the table as a counter-argument that 'it would be better to spend that on XYZ' ", writes Czech journalist Jindřich Šídlo on news server iHNED.cz in response to remarks by Czech Culture Minister Daniel Herman about resolving the problem of the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety by Písek.
"By the way, if just CZK 20 million [EUR 740 000] had been saved out of the state budget each year that this debate has been conducted, which is something close to absolute zero in terms of the budget, them we might have already saved up the money needed by now. So yes, let's play the ridiculous game of those opposed to moving the farm for a moment - the argument that 'there is no money' simply no longer applies as long as the public treasury this year is subsidizing the Brno Grand Prix, a super-commercial event, to the tune of CZK 90 million [EUR 3.3 million]. That's for a weekend of people driving motorcycles in circles," Šídlo writes.
The commentator says that demolishing the farm and building a new one for the AGPI firm to move into can never be presented as a complex problem by anybody with a straight face ever again. "Maybe it was once, but in the year 2016 it just isn't," Šídlo writes.
"Václav Havel was the first (and also the last) President, 21 years ago, to visit Lety. Petr Nečas was the first Prime Minister to visit the site in 2012. Despite all the efforts to do so, Lety has not yet been forgotten. This final step is all that's left to do. Let's get this unending embarrassment off of our backs once and for all," the commentator concludes.
- Czech Regional Development Minister: We're negotiating about the pig farm on the Roma Holocaust site, but don't ask for details
- Czech Culture Minister says Govt will resolve pig farm on Roma Holocaust site by next fall
- Romani civil society member of advisory body to Czech Government resigns over failure to remove pig farm from genocide site
- Czech Culture Minister: Govt, stockholders of pig farm negotiating to remove it from Romani Holocaust site
- Czech Republic: Demonstration in Prague calls on EU to stop subsidizing pig farm on Romani Holocaust site
- Czech Republic: Pig farm at Lety will apparently remain on Romani Holocaust site, talks are going nowhere
- Czech Republic: "Romani Resistance Days" to involve symbolic blockade of Lety pig farm, protest in Prague
- Roma Pride marches in 14 European cities call for removal of pig farm on concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Karel Holomek: Roma should fundraise for removal of pig farm from concentration camp site
- Czech scandal of pig farm on Holocaust site has a precedent - in Germany
- Commentary: Will the pig farm on the Roma Holocaust site still be part of the Czech reality in 2020?
- Czech Labor Minister says pig farm must be removed from Roma Holocaust site
- Commentary: Gala at Prague Castle vs. a smelly pig farm
- Czech wartime superhero "returns" to criticize Lety pig farm
- Czech Republic: Lety pig farm remembered at entrance to Terezín
- Czech Culture Minister wants to solve the problem of the pig farm at Lety
- Czech Human Rights Minister: A pig farm on a site of human suffering disrespects both survivors and victims
- Czech Republic: Blockade of pig farm on Roma Holocaust site ends, activists meet with farm owners
- Czech Republic: Protest against pig farm on Roma Holocaust site blocks highway
- Gwendolyn Albert: Pigs to stay on Roma Holocaust site, Czech Govt won’t invest in human dignity
- Museum of Romani Culture to open Roma and Sinti Center in the Czech capital four years from now
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- Czech archaeological survey confirms human remains are located in the vicinity of current memorial to WWII-era concentration camp for Roma
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Archaeological survey continues at site of former concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Czech Communist Party chair alleges pork is expensive because the farm on the former concentration camp for Roma was closed, but statistics show he is lying
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Czech design competition for memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma/Sinti origin opens in September, winner to be announced in the spring
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site