Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
The Czech TV station TV Prima and its program "Police in Action" (Policie v akci) are being discussed on Romani-related Facebook pages in the Czech Republic. Once again, the channel is not exactly getting rave reviews.
"Today, after a long time, I once again saw the Police in Action program on TV Prima - and I was absolutely horrified. I've only seen it twice, but both times, Romani people have been depicted there as animals stealing mobile phones, mugging a women at knifepoint, etc.," posted the anonymous administrator of the Facebook page called "The Roma of the Czech Republic Vote" (Romové-České republiky-volí).
The Facebook critic is not doubting whether such things actually happen, but is of the opinion that almost all such cases are due to "Romani junkies who are addicted to drugs, which the rest of us Roma are naturally not proud of at all! HOWEVER, there is a 'but' here! What is the purpose of this program? To spark even more animosity among the majority society against us? Are there too few drug addicts, murderers or pedophiles from the majority society for TV Prima to show them? The purpose is clear, it is to constantly confirm to the majority society that we Roma will never improve, that we are just criminals."
According to the Facebook critic, TV Prima is not thinking at all about the kind of hatred they are feeding in those members of the population who are either brainless or racist - a hatred so great that from time to time these wretches pick up a Molotov cocktail and set a Romani home on fire. The commentator tells an anecdote about actors boycotting such productions from the world of film: "I heard or read somewhere that when the film RAMBO II was being made with Sylvester Stallone, and Rambo was meant to be killing people in Vietnam, the Vietnamese refused to perform in it, out of pride, and the director had to look for actors in Cambodia and the Philippines to play the Vietnamese characters. In this country, all it takes is an execrable mini-fee, a couple of hundred dirty crowns, and a Romani person loses his ROMIPEN and plays the role of a social case or a degeš while thinking he's a star, shaming his mother and father, his family, and all Roma."
For that reason, the Facebook critic said he believes anybody Romani who performs in this program on TV Prima is betraying his fellow Roma.
- Czech local zones to cancel housing benefits create more poverty, the biggest one is Ústí nad Labem
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Volkswagen apologizes for racist advertisement, claiming it was "unintentional"
- Czech housing benefit rules become more strict as of 1 July
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Czech court hands down suspended three-year sentence to man who praised the terrorism in Christchurch, prosecutor appeals
- Emil Voráč: In the Czech Republic, nonprofits able to integrate Roma are often blocked from financing
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- Slovak trial of fascist party chair becoming protracted, he alleges the judge is biased
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Czech racists physically assault Romani activist Jozef Miker while shouting antigypsyist abuse
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Romani candidate in Czech regional elections says politicians don't have to be corrupt
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal