Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
The Czech TV station TV Prima and its program "Police in Action" (Policie v akci) are being discussed on Romani-related Facebook pages in the Czech Republic. Once again, the channel is not exactly getting rave reviews.
"Today, after a long time, I once again saw the Police in Action program on TV Prima - and I was absolutely horrified. I've only seen it twice, but both times, Romani people have been depicted there as animals stealing mobile phones, mugging a women at knifepoint, etc.," posted the anonymous administrator of the Facebook page called "The Roma of the Czech Republic Vote" (Romové-České republiky-volí).
The Facebook critic is not doubting whether such things actually happen, but is of the opinion that almost all such cases are due to "Romani junkies who are addicted to drugs, which the rest of us Roma are naturally not proud of at all! HOWEVER, there is a 'but' here! What is the purpose of this program? To spark even more animosity among the majority society against us? Are there too few drug addicts, murderers or pedophiles from the majority society for TV Prima to show them? The purpose is clear, it is to constantly confirm to the majority society that we Roma will never improve, that we are just criminals."
According to the Facebook critic, TV Prima is not thinking at all about the kind of hatred they are feeding in those members of the population who are either brainless or racist - a hatred so great that from time to time these wretches pick up a Molotov cocktail and set a Romani home on fire. The commentator tells an anecdote about actors boycotting such productions from the world of film: "I heard or read somewhere that when the film RAMBO II was being made with Sylvester Stallone, and Rambo was meant to be killing people in Vietnam, the Vietnamese refused to perform in it, out of pride, and the director had to look for actors in Cambodia and the Philippines to play the Vietnamese characters. In this country, all it takes is an execrable mini-fee, a couple of hundred dirty crowns, and a Romani person loses his ROMIPEN and plays the role of a social case or a degeš while thinking he's a star, shaming his mother and father, his family, and all Roma."
For that reason, the Facebook critic said he believes anybody Romani who performs in this program on TV Prima is betraying his fellow Roma.
- Czech local zones to cancel housing benefits create more poverty, the biggest one is Ústí nad Labem
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Volkswagen apologizes for racist advertisement, claiming it was "unintentional"
- Czech housing benefit rules become more strict as of 1 July
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Czech court hands down suspended three-year sentence to man who praised the terrorism in Christchurch, prosecutor appeals
- Emil Voráč: In the Czech Republic, nonprofits able to integrate Roma are often blocked from financing
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- Slovak trial of fascist party chair becoming protracted, he alleges the judge is biased
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Czech racists physically assault Romani activist Jozef Miker while shouting antigypsyist abuse
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Slovak MP of Romani origin Peter Pollák, Jr.: COVID-19 isn't racist
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Bulgarian COVID-19 pandemic measures have closed Romani neighborhoods, causing job losses and food shortages
- Romani politicians: Slovak court's judgment in case of police abuse of children is unacceptable
- Slovenian scandal when weekly close to PM says God sent COVID-19 to "protect whites from corruption"
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons