Commentary: Senator Doubrava the Czech equivalent of Kotleba in Slovakia
I am convinced that every social group, including senators, includes a few cunning hucksters. Czech Senator Doubrava (Severočeši.cz) definitely belongs to that category.
Even though the senator must know that our society has long been extensively robbed by the economic/political mafias, he has now shrewdly trotted out a "report" about how, in his personal experience, things work at the local social welfare office. To his potential voters, he introduces, on the one hand, the ethnically pure mother of a sick child (without reference to her nationality), positing that until she is subjected to an official investigation of her true social need she is essentially entitled to nothing, and on the other hand, to use his terms, he introduces a "gypsy woman" who allegedly takes off her gold jewelry after taking a seat in the waiting room and spends her time making calls on a mobile phone that cost CZK 20 000.
By "correctly" referring to ethnicity instead of resorting to the term "inadaptable", the senator has heroically proven to his potential voters that he knows how things should be done. In my judgment, he is just as slick as the Slovak extremist Kotleba, because instead of proposing legislative initiatives or denouncing the real economic wrong-doers in our society (which unfortunately most politicians only ever pretend to do), he presents his admirers (who, to be precise, are quitters just like him posing as insignificant, regular citizens) with the ethnic enemy and shows them how that enemy is abusing the social welfare system in such a sophisticated way that there will be nothing left over for the poor folks from the ranks of the lower 10 million "indigenous inhabitants" of the country and their sick children.
Let's be clear: Even though I believe Senator Doubrava made up this entire story, I do admit that it is not out of the realm of possibility. However, that does not mean I will reconcile myself to the principle of spreading ethnic hatred being used by this extraordinarily obnoxious vote-hunter.
It is my judgment that all politicians are responsible for waging an uncompromising struggle against those economic/political mafias and against our legislatively-constructed powerlessness thanks to which there is no money in this country for anything constructive or meaningful. I am also wholeheartedly convinced that what our society does not need are cowardly politicians hunting for votes from cowardly citizens who have let the "top 10 000" crap on their heads for the last 24 years.
Unfortunately, people are taking heart from generalized ethnic hatred even more now, evidently so they can believe they are not cowards after all. Under no circumstances will this help them improve their lives.
On the contrary, they will just elect politicians like Senator Doubrava who don't want to do anything about the real ripoff of the state. In order to gain politicial influence (and a senator's salary), all he has to do is conveniently point the finger at the "inadaptable" ethnicity.
Written for Vaševěc.cz, published with the consent of the author
- CNN: Czech Republic has discriminated against Romani refugees from Ukraine, updated data refute the myth that they all hold dual citizenship
- Czech Police arrest purveyors of disinformation who hatefully threatened refugees from Ukraine, court remands them into custody
- Emil Voráč: I distance myself from Romani supporters of xenophobic politicians in the Czech Republic
- Czech research finds one-third of Romani refugees from Ukraine have experienced discrimination here, most children are not in education, dual citizenship has not been "abused" by them
- Spain: Vigilantes set six homes of Romani families on fire in an act of collective punishment, but some European media call the incidents "peaceful demonstrations"
- Former Czech MP loses appeal over his hateful call to "get rid of useless people", the original sentence stands
- Czech Romani official who proposed Romani partisan for state honors: We must never forget him, skin color doesn't matter, what is important is bravery, human decency, and morality
- Hungary's Jewish Community protests PM Orbán's racist speech in which he said Hungarians don't want to become a "mixed-race" nation
- Czech volunteers say second-largest city has broken its agreement by closing camp used by Romani refugees from Ukraine near Grand Hotel
- New handbook describes how to intervene against daily hatred and racism in the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands
- Partisan of Romani origin is among the figures proposed by the Czech Senate for state honors
- Czech local candidates who quit the "Mayors and Independents" party have secured enough signatures to run as independents