Čunek motivates other mayors
“Safety on the streets of Břeclav and the issue of coexistence with the Roma - these matters are closely connected,” emphasized the Mayor of Břeclav, Dymo Piškula, prior to the municipal elections. “The most important thing is to begin talking about the problem of coexistence with the Roma and acknowledge that the situation continues to deteriorate. Břeclav has taken many steps to improve the situation,” Piškula told the daily Mladá fronta DNES. During her election campaign, however, Senate candidate Ludmila Živná (KSČM) denounced the city of Břeclav for creating a ghetto. She even called the fourth-class flats occupied by “rent dodgers” the concentration camp of a new era.
The town hall for the Brno-sever quarter of Brno, where the area called the “Brno Bronx” around Cejl and Francouzská streets is located, has also chosen a drastic solution. Milan Venclík wants to relocate Romani families to “various places around Brno” on the edge of town. Sociologists and activists warn that similar solutions will not necessarily result in satisfactory results.
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from municipality defending its 2006 eviction of Romani residents
- Czech Christian Democratic Governor and Senator resigns his local posts but says his antigypsyist remarks not the reason
- Civil society members of Czech Government Council for Roma Minority Affairs recap past three years of work
- Czech politician alleges he has resolved the issue of "inadaptable Gypsies", Faktus says the facts show otherwise
- Czech town "celebrates" 10th anniversary of Romani evictions and creation of ghetto with fireworks
- Czech Constitutional Court to review town's forced relocation of Romani residents
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion begins work with mayor who keeps attacking Roma
- Romani evictees seek compensation from town, Czech Supreme Court to review case
- Czech Republic: 30 injured after Čunek's container housing catches fire
- Commentary: Czech mayor declares war on "inadaptables" again
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion accuses paper of anti-Romani campaign