Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
The long-awaited boxing match between rappers Marpo and Rytmus was the high point of the "XFN Night of the Champions" in a sold-out O2 arena in Prague on 27 December. Marpo (given name Otakar Petřina) won on points against Rytmus (given name Patrik Vrbovský).
Marpo is the more experienced martial artist. He managed to knock Rytmus down three times in the second round but did not manage to settle the match before the clock ran out.
"I want to pay my respects to Rytmus, he took some unreal punches," Marpo said in the ring while acknowledging the atmosphere in the stadium. "I had the feeling we were at the world championships in ice hockey."
Marpo then explained why, in the third round, he let up so much that fans began accusing him of intentionally pulling his punches. "I thought one of my hands was broken after one of the punches, so I didn't box well after that," Marpo said.
Rytmus, who boxed in white shorts embroidered in gold with his rap name and with "Bengoro", the name of his album ["Beng" means "devil" in Romanes], said as he was embraced after the match: "This I did not expect." Marpo had declared before the match that the contest would be over during the fifth round at the latest.
"I feel like a 42-year-old ancient man," Rytmus said in a post-match interview while still in the ring. "This is a challenge I gave myself and I believe it was a difficult one."
"In the third round I thought I couldn't go on. I was on the mat, or basically on my knees, but I told myself I would not give up, that I would fight to the end," the performer said.
Rytmus entered the arena to the rhythm of the csárdás, which is associated with Romani music. The popular rapper and amateur boxer had spent a year preparing for the match.
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Czech Republic: Boxing club gets boys and girls off the streets of excluded localities
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- Czech Republic: Boxing club offers Roma a new start
- Boxer Tyson Fury, proud of his Irish Traveller origin, has challenged Wladimir Klitschko
- Czech film festival awards film about Romani boxer
- Saunders gives British boxing team a boost
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Emil Voráč: Some non-Romani social work clients in the Czech Republic refuse aid from Romani people
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Magdalena Karvayová: Parents in the ghettos need to see education offers their children a future
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Edita Stejskalová: Czech PM has decided not to establish the post of Commissioner for Romani Affairs
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague