Czech Bar Association calls on its members to service refugees pro bono
The board of the Czech Bar Association reviewed motions at its meeting on 14 and 15 September concerning the problems of ensuring the rights of immigrants from Africa and Arab countries who find themselves on Czech territory. The Czech Bar Association has no ambition to address political matters, but is concerned about indications that these people's rights might be violated.
These people are sometimes being detained in undignified conditions, for example, in former prisons. They are frequently not provided with enough information about their legal position, their money has been confiscated, and measures that are to a certain degree repressive are being applied even to minors.
Anybody who finds herself or himself on Czech territory has the Constitutional right to legal aid. In this situation, these people especially need legal information that will aid them with understanding the state's procedures as well as the opportunity to defend themselves against measures that do not confirm to domestic law or international norms and treaties.
The leadership of the Czech Bar Association is therefore calling on all attorneys, especially attorneys working in the regions where detention facilities for these people are located, to join the PRO BONO activities providing legal services to immigrants. Should it be necessary, the Czech Bar Association is prepared to contribute to paying for related expenditures or to cover them entirely.
- Influential Czech Social Democrat wants Human Rights Minister dismissed, exploits refugee crisis to attack Roma
- Hungarian Police beat up international journalists during use of force against refugees
- Pro-refugee demos throughout Europe, Czech Police detain Romani activist again over flag
- Hungarian camerawoman who kicked refugees including children being investigated by police
- VIDEO: Austrian gives refugees a ride - look what happened next!
- Czech right-wing extremist proposes refugees be "concentrated" at Terezín
- Czech Christian Democrats strip local councilor of party membership over his racist remarks about refugees
- Hungary: Football hooligans assault and injure refugees at Budapest train station
- Austria: 20 000 demonstrate in support of receiving refugees
- Austrian Interior Minister: Countries that reject refugee redistribution should lose EU money
- Hungary arrests five over refugee deaths, Austrian authorities save intercepted children
- Germany criticizes Facebook for fomenting xenophobia, says Europe is rich and can deal with refugees
- Austria reports 71 refugees died in refrigerator truck, four of them children
- Serbian PM: We will never build a wall to keep out refugees
- Czech millionaire goes undercover as part of new reality show, volunteers at Romani boxing club, then surprises them with a donation
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech Senate elections won by "Mayors" party, xenophobic rhetoric scored no votes, owner of disinformation tabloid not reseated
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- YouTube restores Czech politician's channel but deletes two posts that spread hate
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Czech mayor claims all those number 8's in her event have noooothing to do with neo-Nazis
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Daniela Abraham: The antigypsyist violence of my childhood is still happening in Central Europe
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps