Czech bureaucrat who compared Roma to jellyfish resigns from Social Democrats
Deputy Industry and Trade Minister Karel Novotný, who is also a local assembly member in Most, recently became notorious for comparing Romani people to jellyfish in a Facebook post. He has since resigned from the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD).
News server Aktuálně.cz reported the news on 18 November. Novotný apologized for his remarks and was punished by the ministry, which gave him an official warning and suspended his salary for three months.
On 27 November the Czech News Agency reported that they had been unable to reach him for comment. The deputy minister had previously told Aktuálně.cz he would be leaving the party and would not be joining any other.
"I am still an assembly member and councilor in Most, I will complete that term, but after that I do not want to be involved in politics any longer," he said.
"I will focus on my field and on what I enjoy," the deputy minister said. He did not want to comment to the news server on whether his resignation from the party is connected with his racist remarks.
Novotný made the remarks when commenting on a page belonging to the group "Angry Mothers" (Naštvané matky) to the effect that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and good for nothing". Czech Industry and Trade Minister Jiří Havlíček (ČSSD) condemned and sanctioned the deputy minister's actions.
The deputy minister then apologized for his behavior. He has been a member of the party since 1998 and from 2010 - 2014 was Deputy Mayor of Most.
In February 2014 he became Deputy Industry and Trade Minister, responsible for the section on entrepreneurship and consumer protection. During last month's elections he ran for the lower house in 13th place on the party's candidate list in the Ústecký Region.
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Social housing law sparks dispute between ministers for ANO and Czech Social Democrats
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats compete with ultra-right to see who can be more racist and xenophobic
- Czech Social Democratic MP says "homosexuals" want to legalize sex with children, PM not yet calling for her resignation
- Czech Interior Ministry: Hate speech increased in intensity last year
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- Czech Police investigating racist video posted by fanclub of ultranationalist party
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree
- German shooting spree is being investigated as a terrorist attack
- Germany: Anti-migrant xenophobic gunman kills 11 in horrifying spree, he and his mother then found dead
- Video footage surfaces of Slovak politician bragging about throwing Romani people into a river when he was younger
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- Chair of Czech right-wing extremist party exultant over appointment of new ombudsman
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- Czech bookstore fires clerk for racially insulting Romani colleague on social media