Czech bureaucrat who compared Roma to jellyfish resigns from Social Democrats
Deputy Industry and Trade Minister Karel Novotný, who is also a local assembly member in Most, recently became notorious for comparing Romani people to jellyfish in a Facebook post. He has since resigned from the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD).
News server Aktuálně.cz reported the news on 18 November. Novotný apologized for his remarks and was punished by the ministry, which gave him an official warning and suspended his salary for three months.
On 27 November the Czech News Agency reported that they had been unable to reach him for comment. The deputy minister had previously told Aktuálně.cz he would be leaving the party and would not be joining any other.
"I am still an assembly member and councilor in Most, I will complete that term, but after that I do not want to be involved in politics any longer," he said.
"I will focus on my field and on what I enjoy," the deputy minister said. He did not want to comment to the news server on whether his resignation from the party is connected with his racist remarks.
Novotný made the remarks when commenting on a page belonging to the group "Angry Mothers" (Naštvané matky) to the effect that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and good for nothing". Czech Industry and Trade Minister Jiří Havlíček (ČSSD) condemned and sanctioned the deputy minister's actions.
The deputy minister then apologized for his behavior. He has been a member of the party since 1998 and from 2010 - 2014 was Deputy Mayor of Most.
In February 2014 he became Deputy Industry and Trade Minister, responsible for the section on entrepreneurship and consumer protection. During last month's elections he ran for the lower house in 13th place on the party's candidate list in the Ústecký Region.
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Social housing law sparks dispute between ministers for ANO and Czech Social Democrats
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats compete with ultra-right to see who can be more racist and xenophobic
- Czech Social Democratic MP says "homosexuals" want to legalize sex with children, PM not yet calling for her resignation
- Czech tabloid will not be inviting ultra-right party representatives to its online debates
- Slovakia: Chair of neo-Nazi party indicted for using Nazi symbols on checks
- Czech media, police accuse Romani family of inciting brawl with non-Roma at children's pool, Romea.cz first to report the Romani mother's testimony
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson
- German Police find right-wing extremists' list of 25 000 "enemies"
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 16:00 in Prague: RomanoNet protests discrimination and racism against Roma in Europe, publishes manifesto Dost! Basta! Enough!
- LIVE BROADCAST: RomanoNet delivers protest manifesto to the Italian Embassy about Italy's racist measures against Roma
- Amateur photo contest won with images of Romani people sparks hateful reactions on Czech internet
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
Tags:ČSSD, Extremism, Hate, Racism
Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs1.8.2018 10:04
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.