Czech bureaucrat who compared Roma to jellyfish resigns from Social Democrats
Deputy Industry and Trade Minister Karel Novotný, who is also a local assembly member in Most, recently became notorious for comparing Romani people to jellyfish in a Facebook post. He has since resigned from the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD).
News server Aktuálně.cz reported the news on 18 November. Novotný apologized for his remarks and was punished by the ministry, which gave him an official warning and suspended his salary for three months.
On 27 November the Czech News Agency reported that they had been unable to reach him for comment. The deputy minister had previously told Aktuálně.cz he would be leaving the party and would not be joining any other.
"I am still an assembly member and councilor in Most, I will complete that term, but after that I do not want to be involved in politics any longer," he said.
"I will focus on my field and on what I enjoy," the deputy minister said. He did not want to comment to the news server on whether his resignation from the party is connected with his racist remarks.
Novotný made the remarks when commenting on a page belonging to the group "Angry Mothers" (Naštvané matky) to the effect that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and good for nothing". Czech Industry and Trade Minister Jiří Havlíček (ČSSD) condemned and sanctioned the deputy minister's actions.
The deputy minister then apologized for his behavior. He has been a member of the party since 1998 and from 2010 - 2014 was Deputy Mayor of Most.
In February 2014 he became Deputy Industry and Trade Minister, responsible for the section on entrepreneurship and consumer protection. During last month's elections he ran for the lower house in 13th place on the party's candidate list in the Ústecký Region.
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Social housing law sparks dispute between ministers for ANO and Czech Social Democrats
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats compete with ultra-right to see who can be more racist and xenophobic
- Czech Social Democratic MP says "homosexuals" want to legalize sex with children, PM not yet calling for her resignation
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Ukraine: Racists attack Romani family of four, setting fire to their home and threatening a pregnant woman with rape
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining
- Slovak President asks for explanation of incident in which police officer brutalized young children in Romani settlement
- Slovak police officer said to have beaten five Romani children in Krompachy settlement and threatened to shoot them
- Romani woman with Harvard PhD calls Czech racist landlord over his antigypsyist advertisement
- Sweden: Iconic incident of woman swatting neo-Nazi with her purse was also captured on film
- Germany: Halle terrorist charged with double murder and 68 counts of attempted murder
- Two men in Czech Republic indicted for approving of neo-Nazi terrorism in Christchurch, New Zealand
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- North Macedonia: Investigation of death of pregnant Romani woman denied care for days despite being in labor