Czech children's home turns Prague streets into summer camp, complete with parcour, this Thursday
On Thursday, 7 June the playground near the Vinohradská vodárna tram stop in Prague will be transformed during the afternoon into a place of amusement and motivation, called "Stav Beztíže" ("The Weightless State") where parcours masters from the In Motion Academy, rappers Rest & DJ Herby, singer Jan Bendig and other performers will encourage children to pursue their dreams, to minimize the risks of spending time outdoors on the local streets, and to spend their free time meaningfully during the summer. How far one can go doing what one enjoys will be demonstrated by the performing artists and athletes.
Under the direction of professionals, visitors will be able to attempt parcour tricks, join a street football tournament, or compete in facepainting and makeup application. The afternoon events begin at 15:00.
The aim is to support youth who customarily spend their free time on the street to find a meaningful way to do so that will not generate conflicts or risks. The event is organized by Beztíže (Weightless), a specialized department of the Home for Children and Youth in Prague 3- Ulita.
That department runs two drop-in clubs for children and youth in the geographically-adjacent neighborhoods of Prague 2, Prague 3 and Prague 10, providing programs in the field for that same target group and many other preventive activities, including trips out of Prague. Fun motivational events like the one on Thursday are designed for young people who spend their free time on the streets, who frequently become bored, and who are led to dangerous ways of amusing themselves as a consequence.
At these events the children are able to get inspiration for how to spend their free time and to meet some of their idols who support them in their interests, while the public will see what the children have already learned from the diverse workshops offered by Beztíže. Young people who are taking advantage of their services are involved in designing the program of events as a community, thanks to which they are able to attempt collaborating, organizing, promoting and taking responsibility for a big event, learning new skills in the process.
15:00 - 16:15 makeup application contest
15:30 - 16:30 street football tournament
15:30 - 17:30 facepainting
16:00 - 16:30 UGC (R&B)
16:30 - 17:00 Jan Bendig (pop)
17:00 - 18:00 parcour exhibition and workshop by the In Motion Academy
17:30 - 18:00 Rest & DJ Herby (rap)
Moderation by MC Metoděj Constantine and Dozer.
- Jana Balážová: Not acceptable for teachers to see Romani children as a burden
- Czech educators told Romani child she was "slow" - in the UK she's on her second college degree and working as a dental nurse
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says police failed in their response to shooting at children's camp
- Professor Iulius Rostas about school segregation: "Bad not only for Roma children, but for the whole society"
- Romani children from choir whose summer camp was shot at write to Czech PM, Police, seeking apology
- Brutal assailant attacks Romani woman in front of her children, Czech Police can't get their stories straight
- Czech Republic: Apartment building on fire in Romani neighborhood, 20 injured, including children
- Czech city's transit authority admits ticket-checker should not have touched Romani child but otherwise backs her
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- Czech EdMin says number of Romani children educated according to reduced standards has not changed in three years
- Czech Republic: Romani children's grades improve after joining floorball teams
- Czech Republic: Romani businesspeople raise funds to support visually impaired children
- Czech Republic: Families of children targeted with online hate spend Christmas in the mountains thanks to generous donor
- Romani parody of "telenovelas" breaking viewership records on Czech Internet, picked up by cable TV
- Exhibition in Czech capital shows newly-identified photographs of the deportations of Jewish people from Prague during the Holocaust
- Petition seeking first reading for bill to compensate forcibly sterilized women delivered to Czech lower house
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- Jan Balog: Romani nonprofits in Prague will meet to discuss dissatisfaction with Czech Govt Council for Roma Minority Affairs
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- Prague City Council disagrees with Czech bill to consolidate two housing benefits into one
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!