Czech Christian Democratic MEPs file criminal charges against Czech MP Okamura for defamation and harming their good name
In a press release issued on 14 September, Czech Christian Democratic MEPs Pavel Svoboda, Michaela Šojdrová and Tomáš Zdechovský announced that they have filed criminal charges against Czech MP Tomio Okamura, whose election campaign is called "The Courage to Speak the Truth" and who has disseminated a deceptive list of the names of 12 MEPs whom he is alleging voted at the European Parliament (EP) in favor of sanctions against the Czech Republic because the country decided not to receive refugees as part of the EU's quota system. All three of the Christian Democratic MEPs can prove that they voted against the resoution Okamura is referring to.
The resolution in question had nothing to do with levying sanctions against the country, however. "Okamura is referring to the vote from 18 May and characterizing it as having been about sanctions against the Czech Republic. On that day, however, we were just voting about whether the Commission, according to one of its main tasks, should launch an infringement proceedings, because the quotas for refugee reception became binding on the Member States through a decision by the EU Council of Ministers," explains Svoboda, who chairs the Committee on Legal Affairs at the EP, adding that such a proceedings has many phases and could eventually result in the European Court of Justice levying financial sanctions against a Member State for violating the EU Treaty.
"MEPs cannot just levy sanctions, that is absolutely beyond their competence, and [Okamura's] analysis is absolutely deceptive," Svoboda said. Czech MEP Michaela Šojdrová clarified further that "When Okamura, with his unverified list, questioned Czech Prime Minister Sobotka and other politicians about it on the floor of the lower house, I let it pass, because he enjoys immunity for what he says in the lower house. Nevertheless, it has been demonstrated that Okamura is building his campaign on exactly those same lies, which he is unabashedly repeating even during television appearances, in his campaign newsletter, and in his constant messaging on social networking sites, where his posts unfortunately have enormous impact," adding that Okamura's case is a good example of how what is originally a hoax statement can become "information" that is believed by half the nation.
"Okamura's lies have already been unmasked many times and it is not possible that he will keep getting a pass for all of this, and for that reason we have decided to file a criminal report against him for defamation and harming our good names," says Zdechovský, who sits on the EP's Committee for Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs and who has already advocated for several essential proposals to address migration and terrorism there, significantly contributing to the fact that as of February 2017 the borders of the Schengen Area are being strictly monitored and verification of identities is taking place through Interpol databases. "Tomio Okamura has been absolutely disparaging our good work, ignoring facts, and intentionally manipulating people by means of deception so that they will vote for him again. That is unacceptable and it is necessary to clearly say we have had enough of these practices!"
- Gabriela Hrabaňová: We need to discuss Romani integration with MEPs to promote our approaches at EU level
- Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
- Neo-Nazi parties say the EU is evil while drawing money from it - some MEPs want to change that
- Commentary: Is Czech society about to rid itself of anti-Gypsyist MEP Miloslav Ransdorf?
- Commentary: Does Okamura have a future?
- Čeněk Růžička: We demand review of the police procedure over Okamura's defamation of Romani Holocaust victims
- Letter addressed to the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic on Mr Okamura's statement on the Lety camp
- Czech MPs who ran on Okamura's candidate list now protesting his Romani Holocaust denial
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Čeněk Růžička reports crime to Czech State Prosecutor, accuses lower house vice-chair of doubting the Romani genocide
- Czech Christian Democrats want to remove Holocaust doubter from vice-chair post in the lower house
- Czech citizens file crime report over MP's remarks denying the suffering of Romani genocide victims
- Czech futsal club "takes a knee" against the xenophobic remarks of the SPD chair and the President
- VIDEO: "We don't want Fascists here" - protests against Prague meeting of xenophobic parties from around Europe
- Czech MP wants to close nonprofits, Romani psychology student diagnoses him
- Czech expert on extremism says solidarity through hate is very strong now
- Czech party functionary who called for murder of gays, Jews and Roma will no longer assist MP
- Provocateur calls sale of former Roma genocide site to the Czech state a form of "antisemitism", Jewish community disagrees
- Czech cardinal congratulates hate-mongering party on their electoral results
- Roma take to the streets to show political preferences on Czech state holiday
Tags:Czech Christian Democrats, Tomio Okamura, trestní oznámení, ultrapravice
Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"7.2.2018 16:32
concentration camp at Lety u Písku, a site of the genocide of the Roma during the Second World War. When asked today whether he supports removing Okamura from his post as vice-chair of the lower house, as the Christian Democrats propose, the PM said he considers Okamura's apology to have been sufficient.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.