Czech city's transit authority admits ticket-checker should not have touched Romani child but otherwise backs her
The transit authority of the City of Ústí nad Labem (DPMUL) issued a press release yesterday acknowledging that their ticket-checker was not authorized to grab a boy's hand while doing her job on one of the city buses recently. However, the DPMUL is alleging that the boy was vulgar to her and refused to take his backpack off, so they are standing by their employee in the matter.
The incident happened on the morning of 11 January as a group of schoolchildren were commuting to the Primary School in Trmice. Yesterday morning news server Romea.cz was told by the DPMUL that they could not comment on the incident because the Police of the Czech Republic are investigating it, but a press release was posted by the DPMUL online addressing the incident as follows: "At this moment the Transit Authority of the City of Ústí nad Labem, a.s., is standing behind its employee, despite the fact that we are aware that the ticket-taker was not authorized to grab the boy by the hand. Unfortunately, the tense situation and vulgar behavior of the minor toward her was very demanding and stressful on her."
The DPMUL describes the entire situation as follows: "At the Průmyslová stop a small group of young teenagers got on the bus wearing backpacks on their backs and remained standing in the area reserved for the transport of children in prams. Because their backpacks prevented other passengers from walking through the vehicle, especially those getting on board and young children, the ticket-checker approached them and, using a polite form of speech, asked that they take their backpacks off with regard to the other passengers. The teenagers did not respond to her request and therefore she repeatedly drew attention to it. At that moment, one of the teenagers turned around and verbally assaulted her, addressing her familiarly with a very vulgar expression. Because they did not obey her instructions and orders, the ticket-checker was within her rights [...] to remove him from the vehicle. After the bus stopped, the group voluntarily disembarked with him."
Video footage filmed by another passenger shows that the boy was holding his backpack in his hand, not wearing it on his back, at the time the video of him refusing to disembark was made, which contradicts the DPMUL's press release account. News server Romea.cz is in contact with the family of the boy whom the ticket-checker attempted to force off the bus through her inappropriate physical intervention against him.
The boy's family alleges that this is not the first time this ticket-checker's behavior has been problematic, but they also expressed regret over the entire situation. His parents emphasized that the behavior of the ticket-checker and of the local police officer present, who wanted to prevent the passenger from filming the situation, was absolutely incorrect.
The boy who was removed from the bus by the ticket-checker, according to his parents, was late for class and subsequently had to go to surgery department of the hospital in Ústí nad Labem for medical treatment. According to the medical report, his hand was bruised by the intervention.
The DPMUL's press release also alleges that the number of conflicts on mass transit are growing. News server Romea.cz has been informed by local commuters that some drivers and ticket-checkers are behaving inappropriately.
There were many eyewitnesses to the incident on the bus. The boy's family has filed a report of a crime against the ticket-checker and the case is being investigated by the Police of the Czech Republic.
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- Racially-motivated attack by football fans on African man on a tram in the Czech capital - nobody came to his aid
- Czech online tabloids recycling long-debunked antigypsyist hoaxes alleging Roma get free transportation, washing machines
- PHOTO GALLERY: Neo-Nazi 1 May in Ústí nad Labem
- VIDEO: Roma demonstration against neo-Nazi march in Ústí nad Labem
- Czech Republic: 200 neo-Nazis, same number of counter-protesters march in Ústí nad Labem
- Prague establishes special group to remove homeless people from mass transit
- Prague tram driver says attack on sleeping Romani man was racially motivated
- Ján Bajger: Roma in the Czech Republic don't vote because they underestimate themselves
- Czech evictees must leave school gym this weekend for housing in socially excluded localities
- Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma
- Czech residential hotels close, 21 people now living in a primary school gym
- Czech landlord allegedly threatens to pull the plug tonight on evictees' amplified displacement party
- Czech city says 56 evictees still not rehoused, must move by the end of the week
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council leave meeting in protest against housing benefit-free zones
- LIVE: Civil society members of Czech Govt Council for Romani Minority Affairs make statement
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister says nobody has to live on the street after residential hotels close
- Families with children facing eviction sue Czech city for putting them at risk of homelessness
- Czech village wants to stop housing benefits altogether, plans to buy up apartment buildings
Tags:Trmice, Ústí nad Labem, útok, vyjádření
Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on public broadcaster to hold a real debate about Romani issues16.10.2018 10:58
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.