Czech court rejects Interior Ministry lawsuit over gallows mock-ups
The Municipal Court in Prague has rejected a lawsuit filed by the Czech Interior Ministry against the Prague 1 Municipal Department over mock-ups of gallows that were used during demonstrations against Islam last year. The local authority assessed the action of bringing the mock-ups to a public assembly as lawful.
The ministry filed an administrative complaint against that decision. The court has now ruled that the ministry was not authorized to file the suit because the local authority's decision did not impinge upon any rights enjoyed by the ministry.
The Czech News Agency has a copy of the verdict. The court has found that what is at issue is a dispute between the two state authorities about the application and interpretation of the law.
"[The ministry] disagrees with the respondent's assessment as to whether the behavior of the persons carrying the mockups of gallows met the definition of a misdemeanor and whether an administrative proceedings should have been initiated against them," the court's verdict reads. Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec (Czech Social Democratc Party - ČSSD) announced the filing of the lawsuit this past May.
Chovanec believes that the threatening nature of the gallows must not be considered legal. In his view, carrying a gallows to a demonstration and publicly threatening any Czech citizens is not covered by freedom of speech and should be assessed as a misdemeanor at least.
In July of last year, several hundred people protested in the center of Prague against immigration and reception quotas for refugees. Some participants in the demonstration carried mockups of gallows inscribed with the phrase "For Treason", which they believed some Czech politicians had committed.
The Prague 1 Municipal Department decided last fall that the man who brought the gallows to the assembly did not commit a misdemeanor. That decision was subsequently confirmed by Prague City Hall.
- Czech Interior Minister suing City of Prague over opinion on gallows at demonstration
- Czech Interior Ministry appealing municipal decision on gallows at anti-refugee hate demonstration
- Czech state prosecutor says gallows at demonstration was illegal
- Czech Police audit says officers proceeded correctly at demonstration with mock-ups of gallows
- Czech Police now agree that "a gallows has no place in a democracy"
- Czech Interior Minister: Today it's a gallows, tomorrow people could be shooting each other
- Commentary: Are the Czech police not bothered by death threats and a gallows?
- Commentary: Actually, the Czech Police do not "know" that a gallows has no place in a democracy
- Czech Prime Minister: Police procedure during demonstration with gallows was absurd
- Czech Interior Minister says police should know a gallows has no place in a democracy
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Czech court gives suspended sentences and fines to "Bloc against Islamicization" followers over death threats to random pedestrians
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- Prague City Council disagrees with Czech bill to consolidate two housing benefits into one
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- UK court sentences neo-Nazis for threats against Prince Harry because of his marriage to Meghan Markle
- † 17. 5. 1998, Orlová, Czech Republic: Milan Lacko
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Report from Prague's anti-EU demonstration: The little guys on all sides
- Czech courts definitively acquit publisher of Salafist book of promoting a movement against human rights
- Complaint against racist election campaign in Czech town heads to the European Court of Human Rights