Czech court upholds limits on media using nicknames for politicians
The Prague High Court confirmed on 31 January that it would only have been legal for the weekly magazine Reflex to use the nickname "Pitomio" (a pun on a word meaning "fool") to refer to Tomio Okamura, the chair of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" movement, if it had done so in a context of legitimate criticism. Corrupting the politician's name for no reason is not allowed.
News server Lidovky.cz reported on the High Court verdict on 1 February. According to the appeals court, the weekly does not have to apologize for using an image of Okamura on the cover of its print edition and online that caricatured him as a clown.
The dispute between Okamura, who is the former boss of the "Dawn" (Úsvit) party and a current MP, and the Czech News Center firm, which publishes Reflex, concerns articles from 2013 in which the editors referred to Okamura as a clown named "Pitomio". The Municipal Court in Prague instructed the publisher to apologize online in July 2015 and banned Reflex from using the nickname "unless such an reference is an expression of legitimate criticism".
Okamura appealed that verdict. He wanted Reflex to have to publish its apology directly in the print edition of the magazine and also sought recovery of his court costs and compensation of CZK 300 000 [EUR 11 000] from the publisher.
The High Court in Prague, according to its spokesperson, Jan Fořt, has now upheld the lower court verdict in its entirety and rejected Okamura's appeal. The MP told Lidovky.cz that he will consider what steps to take next after receiving the appeals verdict in writing.
Okamura could decide to turn to the Supreme Court next. Reflex has already apologized to Okamura once for corrupting his name, in 2014, on the basis of a decision by the Prague District Court, after the magazine violated that court's order and referred to the MP as "Pitomio".
- Commentary: Does Okamura have a future?
- Čeněk Růžička: We demand review of the police procedure over Okamura's defamation of Romani Holocaust victims
- Letter addressed to the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic on Mr Okamura's statement on the Lety camp
- Czech MPs who ran on Okamura's candidate list now protesting his Romani Holocaust denial
- Czech President's staff criticize inclusion of "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party in extremism report
- Hungary: Traffickers in human beings sentenced to 25 years for 71 deaths, prosecutor wants life sentences
- Czech Supreme Court closes case of vote-buying at Romani housing estate, public interest of secret recording was key
- Czech Govt has yet to release report stating that the SPD party poses more of a threat than extremists do
- Renata Berkyová: How a Czech gadjo from Reflex magazine couldn't help showing his racism
- Czech politician not to be compensated over nickname, courts say reasonable use of it is allowed
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Czech Police arrest two Romani men for attack on police, confirm media exaggerated the incident
- Czech media again exaggerate assault incident, promote antigypsyist stereotypes
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Czech MPs refuse to approve program of extraordinary session to remove vice-chair accused of denying the Romani Holocaust
Tags:Média, Tomio Okamura, Trial, Verdict
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.