Czech Culture Minister's statement on Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
The anniversary of Roma Holocaust Memorial Day, which commemorates the unprecedented event of the murder of all prisoners of the so-called "Gypsy camp" at Auschwitz- Birkenau on the night of 2 August and early morning of 3 August 1944, was marked this year by Czech Culture Minister Daniel Herman through a video message. "We are remembering the victims of the murder of the Romani family camp at Auschwitz," he said, adding that this year he would not be able to attend commemorative events in the Czech Republic due to work obligations outside the country.
"At the chapel in the Nostitz Palace I have made an offering of flowers to the victims of this suffering and ethnic genocide," the minister said, referring to the headquarters of the Culture Ministry. Roma Holocaust Memorial Day is annually commemorated by people in many countries.
The extermination policy of Nazi Germany led to the deaths of at least half a million Roma and Sinti from all over Europe, according to conservtive estimates. Some estimates state there were as many as 800 000 Romani victims, equivalent to anywhere between one-fourth and one-half of the prewar Roma population of Europe.
- Czech PM praises Culture Minister but urges progress on buy-out of pig farm on Roma genocide site
- Czech Culture Ministry's Subsidy Commission for National Minorities issues statement against growing intolerance
- Czech Culture Minister says Govt will resolve pig farm on Roma Holocaust site by next fall
- Czech Culture Minister: Govt, stockholders of pig farm negotiating to remove it from Romani Holocaust site
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity
- Director of the Lidice Memorial in the Czech Republic has resigned
- Monika Mihaličková: The basis for institutional racism was laid by work of the kind the Czech Human Rights Commissioner did in the 1980s
- Czech Govt Roma Council recommends analyzing interwar assets of Roma and Sinti confiscated during the war, a still-unresolved matter
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- ROMEA TV: Irrefutable evidence found that industrial pig farm was built on top of former concentration camp for Roma
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic