Czech Culture Minister's statement on Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
The anniversary of Roma Holocaust Memorial Day, which commemorates the unprecedented event of the murder of all prisoners of the so-called "Gypsy camp" at Auschwitz- Birkenau on the night of 2 August and early morning of 3 August 1944, was marked this year by Czech Culture Minister Daniel Herman through a video message. "We are remembering the victims of the murder of the Romani family camp at Auschwitz," he said, adding that this year he would not be able to attend commemorative events in the Czech Republic due to work obligations outside the country.
"At the chapel in the Nostitz Palace I have made an offering of flowers to the victims of this suffering and ethnic genocide," the minister said, referring to the headquarters of the Culture Ministry. Roma Holocaust Memorial Day is annually commemorated by people in many countries.
The extermination policy of Nazi Germany led to the deaths of at least half a million Roma and Sinti from all over Europe, according to conservtive estimates. Some estimates state there were as many as 800 000 Romani victims, equivalent to anywhere between one-fourth and one-half of the prewar Roma population of Europe.
- Czech PM praises Culture Minister but urges progress on buy-out of pig farm on Roma genocide site
- Czech Culture Ministry's Subsidy Commission for National Minorities issues statement against growing intolerance
- Czech Culture Minister says Govt will resolve pig farm on Roma Holocaust site by next fall
- Czech Culture Minister: Govt, stockholders of pig farm negotiating to remove it from Romani Holocaust site
- Czech institutions designing memorial about the genocide of the Roma are inspired by Norwegian remembrance sites
- Třebíč, Czech Republic commemorates anniversary of Holocaust transports from there
- Commentary: Terezin commemoration this year was a travesty, civil society group calls for director's dismissal
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- Czech state is now the official owner of the former pig farm at Lety on the Romani genocide site
- Czech Republic: Permission sought from Prostějov to install stones marking Holocaust victims
- Czech Republic: Pigs finally leave Romani genocide site
- Czech PM to attend commemorative ceremony to honor Holocaust victims who are Romani
- Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
- Norway Grants to partially finance memorial to Romani genocide victims in Czech Republic
- March against Roma Holocaust denial and for removing vice-chair of Czech lower house THIS THURSDAY IN BRNO
Tags:Holocaust, Ministerstvo kultury, 2.srpna, 20. století
Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting10.7.2018 10:23
Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma9.7.2018 20:36
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.