Czech Culture Minister's statement on Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
The anniversary of Roma Holocaust Memorial Day, which commemorates the unprecedented event of the murder of all prisoners of the so-called "Gypsy camp" at Auschwitz- Birkenau on the night of 2 August and early morning of 3 August 1944, was marked this year by Czech Culture Minister Daniel Herman through a video message. "We are remembering the victims of the murder of the Romani family camp at Auschwitz," he said, adding that this year he would not be able to attend commemorative events in the Czech Republic due to work obligations outside the country.
"At the chapel in the Nostitz Palace I have made an offering of flowers to the victims of this suffering and ethnic genocide," the minister said, referring to the headquarters of the Culture Ministry. Roma Holocaust Memorial Day is annually commemorated by people in many countries.
The extermination policy of Nazi Germany led to the deaths of at least half a million Roma and Sinti from all over Europe, according to conservtive estimates. Some estimates state there were as many as 800 000 Romani victims, equivalent to anywhere between one-fourth and one-half of the prewar Roma population of Europe.
- Czech PM praises Culture Minister but urges progress on buy-out of pig farm on Roma genocide site
- Czech Culture Ministry's Subsidy Commission for National Minorities issues statement against growing intolerance
- Czech Culture Minister says Govt will resolve pig farm on Roma Holocaust site by next fall
- Czech Culture Minister: Govt, stockholders of pig farm negotiating to remove it from Romani Holocaust site
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture says contract to buy pig farm on genocide site will be signed after elections
- Romani activist Čeněk Růžička receives prestigious Artis Bohemiae Amicis award, Czech Culture Minister promises current Govt will buy pig farm
- Czech state not signing pig farm contract today after all, money will come from next year's budget
- Czech Human Rights Minister says Govt will sign contract to buy pig farm on Roma genocide site next week
- Czech company accepts state offer to buy pig farm on Roma genocide site
- International Roma flag to fly on buildings throughout Czech Republic tomorrow for Roma Holocaust Remembrance Day
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech firm agrees to sell pig farm on Romani genocide site
- Renata Berkyová for DVTV: Even the Czech President doesn't know how to honor the memory of Lety, the pig farm remains
- Czech-Roma group alleges more people may have died at Roma genocide site than previously known, will demonstrate for pig farm removal
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Karel Holomek: Czech President's proposal to leave pig farm on genocide site is out of touch
- Director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative says story of Czechoslovak Romani partisan could raise awareness of Roma Holocaust
Tags:Holocaust, Ministerstvo kultury, 2.srpna, 20. století
Czech company that owns pig farm on Roma genocide site will appeal order to return subsidy due to EU anti-fraud investigation11.10.2017 16:21
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.