Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights Monika Šimůnková has added her voice to those marking International Romani Day. "I have long followed the unequal position of Romani people in our society and I am doing my best to advocate for that to improve," she said, adding that she hopes next year the 8 April celebrations will happen in a more optimistic spirit.
Statement by Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights Monika Šimůnková on International Romani Day 2020
Dear and esteemed Romani people,
I would hereby like to join those celebrating International Romani Day, which, like everything else in the country, has been disrupted by the ongoing pandemic - but despite this, I cannot forget that the pandemic afflicts different parts of society here in a different way. The situation in the excluded localities where many Romani people still have to live is not being paid attention to by the media yet.
We are all shut up in our houses during the pandemic, but not all houses provide a dignified base of operations to those who live in them. What's more, once the schools reopen, some Romani children, unfortunately, will be heading back into segregated educational arrangements, the existence of which is the great shame of our country.
I have long followed the unequal position of Romani people in our society and I am doing my best to advocate for that to improve. I firmly hope that the decade to come will bring about improvement in your situation and that next year the celebrations of International Romani Day will be held in a more optimistic spirit than is possible today.
On this day that is so important to you, I wish you all the best, mainly a lot of health, patience, and stamina during these times that are so difficult for us all. Maybe this demanding period will at least bring us all together and remind us that we are all equal, irrespective of the differences to which we attribute such great importance at other times.
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I hope the law to compensate victims of forced sterilization will soon be adopted
- Czech ombudsman to control discrimination agenda, head of the legal section steps down to work for his deputy
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- Outgoing Czech Public Defender of Rights says her former deputy is not a good choice to succeed her
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights says Public Defender of Rights is publicly misrepresenting what she said to him
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner tells ROMEA TV ombudsman is wrong to say Roma not involved with Strategy, removal of his deputy from councils makes no sense
- Czech ombudsman claims his deputy was not appointed to Govt councils, Romea.cz has proof that is not true
- Czech ombudsman removes his deputy from Govt councils after she disagrees with his official comments on the Roma Strategy
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion informs ombudsman that 82 % of communities where they work are satisfied
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech/Romani NGO tells Public Defender of Rights his remarks on Human Rights Day are a disgrace
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission