Czech documentary film about xenophobia, "Czechs versus Czechs", wins special honor at Jihlava film festival
Tomáš Kratochvíl's documentary film "Czechs versus Czechs" (Češi proti Čechům) has won special recognition at the documentary film festival in Jihlava "for the impressive use of film as a personal journal to break down social prejudices and stereotypes". The director made the film in the Romani ghetto of Předlice, where he lived for eight months.
The film is a continuation of his previous documentary, "Gadžo". The website of the Jihlava festival presents the following dialogue as an annotation to the film:
"I'd throw a grenade at them."
"The gypsies. They multiply like mice."
"Do they have to be killed?"
"Yes. Do you know what Hitler should have done? Left the Jews alone and shot the gypsies. There are too many of them."
- Film about Czechoslovak experiment with Romani children wins best documentary from Olomouc Film Academy
- Documentary film review: "Suppressed Letters", about a Czechoslovak experiment with Romani children
- Documentary shows Roma from Slovak settlements singing with non-Romani musicians
- Documentary films by Roma about Roma screen in Vienna
- Interview with director of documentary film about Romani girls
- Will Czech documentary about Romani activist unite, or divide?
- Czech director of documentary about quintuplets: There is truth on both sides
- Documentary about blockade of neo-Nazi march in Brno, Czech Republic premieres next month
- Documentary about three Roma women in politics premieres at Khamoro Festival in Prague
- "Scars of Racism": CNN documentary gently shows the cost of indifference to neo-Nazism
- Documentary on the attempted neo-Nazi pogrom at Janov
- Documentary films on SEE social, political and human rights issues
- Germany: Xenophobic party apologizes for racist coloring book after sharp criticism
- Czech xenophobic band removed from music festival lineup after other performers refuse to share the stage with them
- Czech director of "The Painted Bird": All it takes here is to be different and you've got a problem
- Michal Mižigár wins the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award 2019
- Czech Republic: Romani-occupied residential hotel catches fire, young family loses everything, 12 suffer smoke inhalation
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Czech city declares its entire territory a ghetto for harsh housing benefit restrictions - which don't deliver
- Czech city synonymous with ethnic segregation sets up "Committee to Map and Eliminate Negative Social Phenomena"
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Slovak bus company caught on video repeatedly denying some Romani passengers service
- Czech Prosecutor General insists online hate speech is a felony, Supreme Court agrees