Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
On Thursday, 13 May at 20:00 the online streaming service "Moje kino live", run by the Aero Cinema in Prague, will offer the documentary film "LETY", produced by ROMEA TV, free of charge. Immediately after the screening, a livestream chat with some of the film's producers will be held, which viewers will be able to join with their questions through the Facebook page of the ROMEA organization.
"LETY" ONLINE SCREENING
- Date: 13 May 2021, 20:00
- Place: Moje kino live - kino Aero
- Password: dokumentlety
The screening is being held on the day when the commemorative ceremony is traditionally usually held at the site of the burial ground for the victims of the concentration camp for Romani people near the village of Lety u Písku; because of measures against the ongoing pandemic the ceremony has been cancelled this year. The 2019 hour-long documentary film "LETY", by Romani community members Renata Berkyová, František Bikár and Viola Tokárová, captures 20 years of efforts by many stakeholders to remove an industrial pig farm from the site of the former concentration camp and the ongoing debate about the history of the place.
The film combines investigative research into previously unclarified facts that influenced the circumstances of the farm being bought out by the state with testimonies from eyewitnesses, footage from the archives of Czech Television, ROMEA TV, and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, and interviews with those directly involved, such as Čeněk Růžička, Fedor Gál, Vladimír Mlynář, Markus Pape, Mayor of Mirovice Adolf Vondrášek, Petr Uhl, archaeologist Pavel Vařeka, Daniel Herman and others. The documentary recently won an award at the AKE DIKEHA? film festival, special recognition from the artistic director of the festival, Hamze Bytyci.
The online screening can be accessed here on 13 May at 20:00. It will be possible to access the online "hall", which will be open as of 19:30, with the password - dokumentlety.
After the film there will be an online chat with the film's producers, Renata Berkyová and Viola Tokárová, moderated by Anna Štičková, a researcher with the Prague Forum for Romani Histories, at just after 21:00. The debate will be joined by Čeněk Růžička, the main protagonist of the film who is the chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic, which traditionally holds the commemorative ceremony at Lety.
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Closed commemoration of the Roma victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku cultural heritage site
- Descendants of Romani victims of the Holocaust and Czech experts discuss commemoration after screening of documentary "LETY"
- Documentary film LETY to screen in Czech capital on the occasion of International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Documentary film LETY captures the despair and the hopes of those who fought to remove the industrial pig farm from the site of the former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Lety after the Romani genocide, Part Three: The 1990s pave the way to a price tag of half a billion crowns
- Lety after the Romani genocide, Part Two: Survivors erect a cross, protests against pig farm ignored
- Lety after the Romani genocide, Part One: Local authorities wanted to build another camp there for Roma after the war
- Czech Police: Anti-Romani signs at Romani genocide memorial in Lety were approval of genocide, perpetrators face three years in prison
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety
- Interview with Romani student at Czech university who aims to become a diplomat
- Demolition of the defunct industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic has begun, memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti is one step closer
- Photos and video from the symbolic demolition of the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE ONLINE 22 JULY: Grand launch of the demolition of the industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Demolition of industrial pig farm located on the site of former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma to begin so Czech Republic can build new memorial
- England: Documentary film Pongo Calling, about Romani émigrés from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, premieres tomorrow at DocFest
- Czech artists donate works to charity auction for Romani scholarships
- Czech Education Minister: Situation at school that hired private security because of disruptive pupils has been blown out of proportion, new resources can help
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- LIVE BROADCAST SUNDAY: President of the Czech Senate to attend commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku