Czech Education Minister's new press spokesperson to be Romani journalist Jarmila Balážová
Balážová graduated in journalism from the Faculty of Social Sciences at Charles University in Prague, majoring in film and television, and wrote her thesis on "Romani Media after 1989". During the 1990s she established and led Roma programming at public broadcaster Czech Radio.
She has been an external correspondent for public broadcaster Czech Television, where she later worked as a dramaturg for children's programming. In 2002 she moderated the "Áčko" program for TV Nova, the country's most-watched commercial broadcaster.
In 2007 she won the Karel Havlíček Borovský Prize for her journalistic work. Since the 1990s she has also worked as an expert on Romani issues, has been a member of a broad range of commissions, and served as the Vice-Chair of the Czech Government Council on National Minorities.
- Jarmila Balážová on the Czech Government Romani Integration Strategy
- Jarmila Balážová: The Czech media have neither the desire nor the time for the truth
- Jarmila Balážová: Petition against foreigners is cheap, hateful and populist
- Jarmila Balážová to become spokesperson for Czech Human Rights Minister
- Jarmila Balážová: New ministers could change Czech perceptions of gender and minorities
- Jarmila Balážová: Czech Green Party bravely runs Romani candidates despite social atmosphere
- Jarmila Balážová: I will vote for Karel Schwarzenberg
- Jarmila Balážová says ParlamentníListy.cz case not the only one in the Czech media
- Jarmila Balážová: Havel will always be a symbol of freedom for me!
- Jarmila Balážová: Even Romani loan sharks won’t be taboo for us
- Jarmila Balážová: Czech party distancing itself from mayor's racist remarks without removing him as a candidate is an empty gesture
- Czech Education Minister: Situation at school that hired private security because of disruptive pupils has been blown out of proportion, new resources can help
- Jarmila Balážová further reveals Czech ombudsmans incompetence and lack of professionalism during discussion on CNN Prima News
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report
- COMMENTARY: Czech TV show portrays Roma as nothing but criminals
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Czech journalists find the man behind the Aeronet disinformation server
- Commentary: Which Czech media outlets can we take seriously?
- Patrik Banga: Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy
- Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
- Slovak Fascists want to change laws about online media to prevent libel