Czech Education Minister's new press spokesperson to be Romani journalist Jarmila Balážová
Balážová graduated in journalism from the Faculty of Social Sciences at Charles University in Prague, majoring in film and television, and wrote her thesis on "Romani Media after 1989". During the 1990s she established and led Roma programming at public broadcaster Czech Radio.
She has been an external correspondent for public broadcaster Czech Television, where she later worked as a dramaturg for children's programming. In 2002 she moderated the "Áčko" program for TV Nova, the country's most-watched commercial broadcaster.
In 2007 she won the Karel Havlíček Borovský Prize for her journalistic work. Since the 1990s she has also worked as an expert on Romani issues, has been a member of a broad range of commissions, and served as the Vice-Chair of the Czech Government Council on National Minorities.
- Jarmila Balážová on the Czech Government Romani Integration Strategy
- Jarmila Balážová says ParlamentníListy.cz case not the only one in the Czech media
- Jarmila Balážová: Havel will always be a symbol of freedom for me!
- Jarmila Balážová: Even Romani loan sharks won’t be taboo for us
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Czech journalists find the man behind the Aeronet disinformation server
- Commentary: Which Czech media outlets can we take seriously?
- Patrik Banga: Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy
- Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
- Slovak Fascists want to change laws about online media to prevent libel
- Czech SocDem chair threatens to bring down Govt if ultranationalist nominee appointed to Czech News Agency board
- Russian military television grossly exaggerates Czech turnout for anti-EU demonstration
- Top Czech YouTuber doing media literacy education for hundreds of thousands was inspired by John Oliver
- Romani actor from Czech TV sitcom apologizes for using the word "gypsy" in an interview
- British newspaper The Guardian: Debt collection industry is endangering Czech democracy
- Czech cabinet rejects SocDem plan for free school lunch for all, asks EdMin to rewrite more limited proposal