Czech Education Minister wants to give schools money to visit historical sites
Czech Education Minister Kateřina Valachová (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD) wants to make it possible for schools to visit certain locations connected with Czech history free of charge. In May the ministry will make public a pilot program through which schools will be able to seek money for such field trips.
CZK 30 million will be made available for such trips this year. "We want to test how schools will respond to this," the minister said on 1 February during a visit to a college pedagogy department in Brno.
If there will be interest in the opportunity, education in the field will be expanded even further in the future. The aim is to bolster awareness of both the celebrated and the tragic moments in Czech history.
In the beginning, four locations are being considered as destinations. The minister specifically mentioned the Terezín Memorial, the J. A. Comenius National Pedagogical Museum and Library, and the memorial at Hodonín u Kunštátu (in the Blansko district).
That memorial is located on the site of what was once a concentration camp during the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia through which hundreds of Romani people passed on their way to their deaths at Auschwitz, and it was also used as a camp after the Second World War. Schools will get the chance to apply for funding not just for the costs of traveling to such destinations, but also to pay for educational programs about them so the visits to specific locations will be appropriately combined with instruction in civics or history.
- Inclusive education from the Czech Republic to Georgia to the USA
- Czech Republic: Romani Holocaust Memorial at Hodonín to open this summer
- Commentary: Too soon to assess inclusive reforms in education
- Czech Republic: Two-day European conference on Romani education to take place in Prague
- Czech academic and education official discuss qualified estimates of Romani pupils
- Czech Republic: Roma commemorate 73rd anniversary of prisoner transport from Hodonín u Kunštátu to Auschwitz
- Czech Republic: Art show about Hodonín concentration camp for Roma opens in Prague
- Jana Horváthová: Hodonín and Lety functioned as concentration camps
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories launches Czech website, panel on Holocaust research MONDAY
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- Museum of the Romani National Revival to open with "A Century of Roma in Czechoslovakia" exhibit
- Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma
- Czech NGO ROMEA launches I HAVE A DREAM! campaign to support Romani students
- Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Czech historian reminds public that cruel abuse was perpetrated at concentration camp for Roma in Moravia
- Czech Republic: Unique "Memory of the Roma" project keeps historical memory alive through video
- Czech party wants to abolish compulsory preschool, former EdMin calls it a cheap gesture
- Czech EdMin says number of Romani children educated according to reduced standards has not changed in three years
Tags:History, Kateřina Valachová, Vzdělávání, Auschwitz
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.