Czech Education Minister wants to give schools money to visit historical sites
Czech Education Minister Kateřina Valachová (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD) wants to make it possible for schools to visit certain locations connected with Czech history free of charge. In May the ministry will make public a pilot program through which schools will be able to seek money for such field trips.
CZK 30 million will be made available for such trips this year. "We want to test how schools will respond to this," the minister said on 1 February during a visit to a college pedagogy department in Brno.
If there will be interest in the opportunity, education in the field will be expanded even further in the future. The aim is to bolster awareness of both the celebrated and the tragic moments in Czech history.
In the beginning, four locations are being considered as destinations. The minister specifically mentioned the Terezín Memorial, the J. A. Comenius National Pedagogical Museum and Library, and the memorial at Hodonín u Kunštátu (in the Blansko district).
That memorial is located on the site of what was once a concentration camp during the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia through which hundreds of Romani people passed on their way to their deaths at Auschwitz, and it was also used as a camp after the Second World War. Schools will get the chance to apply for funding not just for the costs of traveling to such destinations, but also to pay for educational programs about them so the visits to specific locations will be appropriately combined with instruction in civics or history.
- Inclusive education from the Czech Republic to Georgia to the USA
- Czech Republic: Romani Holocaust Memorial at Hodonín to open this summer
- Commentary: Too soon to assess inclusive reforms in education
- Czech Republic: Two-day European conference on Romani education to take place in Prague
- Czech academic and education official discuss qualified estimates of Romani pupils
- Czech Republic: Roma commemorate 73rd anniversary of prisoner transport from Hodonín u Kunštátu to Auschwitz
- Czech anti-totalitarianism festival Mene Tekel features exhibit about the architecture competition for the Lety Memorial to the Holocaust
- Polish Police investigating antisemitic graffiti at Auschwitz Memorial
- Grandson of famous Czechoslovak partisan from the Romani community says his grandfather was a hero
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Prague 8 municipality marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day by flying Romani flag
- 2 August marks 77 years since the tragic mass murder of 4 200 Romani people at Auschwitz
- Brooke Pavek, an American with Romani roots, has more than 700 000 social media followers
- 50th anniversary of the international movement of Romani people celebrated worldwide
- Overview of the online commemorations of the 50th anniversary of the Romani movement already underway!
- Internet connects Holocaust remembrance sites to commemorate deaths of Theresienstadt "Family Camp" inmates at Auschwitz-Birkenau