Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
The Czech elections to the European Parliament were again won by the governing ANO movement, which will have six MEPs, two more than before. Second place went to the Civic Democratic Party (ODS) with four MEPs, who have doubled their seats.
Third place went to the Pirates, with three MEPs. The Christian Democrats (KDU-ČSL) and SPD will each have two MEPs, the Communists just one compared to their previous three.
The Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD) has lost their representation at the EP, as did the "Free" (Svobodní) party. The results were announced today by the Czech Statistical Bureau.
The Romani Democratic Party (RDS) remained defeated, with 0.06 % of the vote. In absolute numbers, 1 651 people cast ballots for the RDS.
ANO won with 21.18 % of the vote, improving on its performance five years ago, when it got 16.13 %. ODS improved with 14.54 % compared to 7.67 % in 2014.
The Pirates scored 13.95 % of the vote compared to 4.78 % last time. The coalition of Mayors and the TOP 09 party lost a seat and fell to 11.65 % of the vote compared to 15.95 % last time.
The SPD won 9.14 % of the votes in its EP debut. The KDU-ČSL got 7.24 % compared to 9.95 % last time.
The Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia (KSČM) fell to 6.94 % of the vote from 10.98 % last time. The ČSSD was chosen by just 3.95 % of voters compared to 14.17 % last time.
More than 1 % of the vote guarantees a one-time contribution from the state budget of CZK 30 [EUR 1.16] per vote and was earned not just by the Hlas (Voice) party led by MEP Pavel Telička (previously for ANO) with 2.38 % of the vote, but also by the joke party "ANO, vytrollíme europarlament" ("YES, we'll troll the EP") with 1.56 %. Thie EP elections were attended by 28.72 % of eligible voters in the Czech Republic.
That turnout is 10 % more than five years ago, the highest since Czech voters joined the EU in 2004. In 2009 it was 28.22 % and in 2004 it was 28.32 %.
- Stano Daniel: Czecho-Slovak perspectives on elections to the European Parliament
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Roma, make our voices heard in the European Parliament elections!
- Czech experts prepare for disinformation in campaigns for elections to the European Parliament
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- European Parliamentary delegation plans to visit Romani settlements in Slovakia
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Czech PM says Government will not change the financing conditions for nonprofits drawing EU money
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- EP's committee on social issues to be led by Slovak MEP Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Czech MEP Zdechovský is a vice-chair
- Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Slovak MEP of Romani origin joins the European People's Party