Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
The Federation of Jewish Communities in the Czech Republic has condemned Friday's march against the Government measures to address the COVID-19 pandemic during which several participants wore yellow stars with the inscription "Unvaccinated". Several Czech politicians had already condemned the demonstrators' behavior before the Federation issued its statement.
News server Romea.cz previously reported that Friday's protest in support of outgoing US President Trump and against vaccinations to combat the novel coronavirus was also attended by extremists who have previously been fighting against receiving refugees, against the religion of Islam, and against Romani people. "The Federation of Jewish Communities and the Foundation for Holocaust Victims are condemning the textbook abuse and relativizing of a Holocaust symbol that is associated with the suffering of millions of people. It is evident that it is necessary to constantly educate our society and to recommend that all who resort to such base displays visit the locations associated with the Nazi genocide both at home and abroad. We thank all who publicly condemned these displays during the Sabbath today," the Federation posted to Facebook.
The behavior of those attending the demonstration had previously been condemned by the chair of the TOP 09 party, Markéta Adamová Pekarová. "I don't understand what is going through the mind of a person who wears such a Star of David to a demonstration. I took my sister, who is 13 years younger than me, to the Auschwitz-Birkenau memorial to show her how far human hatred can go. These 'heroes' should be made to go there, and whoever doesn't understand it at that place is beyond help," the TOP 09 chair posted to Twitter.
The Israeli Ambassador to the Czech Republic, Daniel Meron, also expressed a tough attitude toward the demonstrators' behavior. "The use of the Yellow Star of David in anti-vaccination protests is a disgrace and an insult to the memory of the victims of the Holocaust," he posted to Twitter.
The use of the Yellow Star of David in anti-vaccination protests is a disgrace and an insult to the memory of the victims of the Holocaust.— Daniel Meron (@AmbMeron) January 9, 2021
(Photos are from Facebook) pic.twitter.com/6oXNajEqSd
The chair of the Civic Democratic Party (ODS), Petr Fiala, also called the use of the symbol a cheap and insulting form of protest. The chair of the lower house club of the Christian Democrats (KDU-ČSL), Jan Bartošek, called the demonstrators confused and disinformed.
"Nobody is persecuting you. At most, you're persecuted by your own stupidity. This is moral chutzpah, this is the rape of the Holocaust symbol of those victims. You all have the opportunity to cast a ballot in free elections, which the Jewish people then, or the persecuted Christians and Uyghurs in China have never had and still do not have," the MP wrote.
Friday's protest was attended by several dozen people. It was against the Government measures to prevent the novel coronavirus from spreading, an expression of support for outgoing US President Trump, an opportunity to cast doubt on the outcome of the American presidential election, and an opportunity to question the circumstances around the recent death of former Slovak Police President Milan Lučanský.
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- German Government Commissioner on Antisemitism: COVID-19 denial now a pretext for Holocaust revisionism
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Exhibition in Czech capital shows newly-identified photographs of the deportations of Jewish people from Prague during the Holocaust
- Commentary: Work on antisemitism by US professor reminds us of antigypsyism in the Czech Republic today
- Hungary: Dozens of Neo-Nazis jointly vandalize Budapest Jewish cultural center that houses other civil society groups
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities logged 347 antisemitic incidents last year, police addressed 15
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech Prosecutor General appeals case to Supreme Court, says antisemitic death threats are a crime, not a misdemeanor
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Romani youth including actor from "The Painted Bird" want to fundraise for Czech hospital treating serious COVID-19 cases
- Another Romani musician in a Czech hospital sends social media message to COVID-19 deniers: This is real and the hospitals are running out of room
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19