Czech football club cancels screening of documentary about Romani footballers after fans threaten violence
Because of serious threats made by a group of their fans, the Bohemians Praha 1905 football club has decided to cancel tomorrow's scheduled premiere of the film "FC Roma". The documentary by Rozálie Kohoutová and Tomáš Bojar has been nominated for a Czech Lion award and has already won the Pavel Koutecký Prize.
"We understand the decision by the leadership of Bohemians - the safety of visitors comes first. However, it is not possible to back down when people use intimidation and threats to disagree with others or with projects that they define themselves as being against. Neither the producers of this film nor the organizations working with them will let themselves be intimidated. At this moment we are negotiating a new place and time for the premiere," the filmmakers posted to their Facebook page.
News server Aktuálně.cz reports that Bohemians and Sparta fans were planning to attend the film screening. "Some fans aren't open to the artistry of the film, just the other aspect of it. Hatred against Romani people, which the film touches on, unfortunately exists among the fans," Darek Jakubowicz, director of the Bohemians Praha 1905 club, told the news server.
The film familiarizes viewers with the racial issue through the eyes of a football club predominantly comprised of Romani players competing in a district championship. It will be available on general release this autumn.
Bojar said the film was screened at the Karlovy Vary festival in July and will also be shown at other festivals. Viewers in the town of Děčín, the hometown of FC Roma, were allowed to see the film prior to its premiere.
In 2014 several football clubs in the Czech Republic refused to play with the FC Roma club, but today the team is competing normally, not just winning by forfeit. The club from Děčín has also played several matches with diplomats from various embassies to the Czech Republic and played against the Karlovy Vary Film Festival football team this week to promote the documentary.
- Czech Republic: Romani football trainer keeps children in the ghettos away from drugs
- Goal of his career! Romani footballer Ricardo Quaresma sends Portugal to EURO 2016 quarterfinals
- Highest-paid Hungarian footballer of all time is Romani
- Hungary: Football hooligans assault and injure refugees at Budapest train station
- Czech football fans hang up Islamophobic banner during match, team later apologizes
- Commentary: Football still trumps immigration demonstrations for the Czech public
- Czech football hooligans attack Romani youth, Roma plan to demonstrate
- Czech Republic: Romani footballers play embassy employees
- Czech Republic: Embassy employees invite rejected Romani footballers to protest match
- BBC: England team's first Romany footballer 'deserves recognition'
- Famous Romani players in world football
- Gyulla Banga: FIFA punishes Croatian footballer for promoting Nazism
- HATTRICK: Famous Romani footballers
- Greek footballer banned for life from national team after Nazi salute
- Czech fans spread rumors about Romani football subsidy
- British football fan does prison time, gets lifetime ban for racism
- Czech football team models clothing brand with neo-Nazi associations
- Germany: Neo-Nazis plan brawl for tomorrow's football finals in Munich
- Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
- Romani football team removed from competition in the Czech Republic
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Czech court hands down suspended sentence for racist commentary on article about children's deaths and confiscates the computer used
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Director of the Museum of Romani Culture schools Czech senator in debate
- "How I Became a Partisan": Vera Lacková's documentary about Romani partisans screened at Czech film festival
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism