Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
The disciplinary commission of the Czech Republic's Assocation of Football Leagues has begun a proceedings with the Sigma Olomouc team over the racist behavior of some of their fans toward Jean-David Beauguel, who plays for Plzeň. The incident was scheduled to be dealt with last week during the commission's regular Thursday convening.
Sigma Olomouc wants to ban those responsible from entering the stadium, and if the disciplinary commission fines the club, it will sue the fans for damages. During a league match at home on a Sunday, Sigma Olomouc fans targeted Beauguel after Plzeň won 1:0.
Some people in the stands imitated monkey sounds as the black French footballer walked past. The disciplinary commission began the proceedings on 16 June after receiving a report on the incident from its delegate in charge of technical matters.
"We firmly believe these were isolated utterances by discrete individuals, but that does not make the situation any less serious. We appreciate the active approach of the organizer and we believe the club in Olomouc will manage to identify the persons involved and take adequate measures against them," the association said in a statement.
Beauguel and the management of Plzeň sharply condemned the behavior of the fans immediately after the match and Sigma Olomouc has apologized. "Sigma Olomouc thoroughly condemns the racist utterances made by some individuals among the fan group in the southern stands towards Jean-David Beauguel. Under no circumstances does that kind of behavior belong in a football stadium," the club said in an online statement.
"In the name of our club, we apologize to Jean-David Beauguel and to the entire Viktoria Plzeň club. Once we noticed those utterances, the organizing service immediately intervened and those involved in the incident were escorted from the stadium," said Milan Zapletal, manager of security for Sigma Olomouc.
Sigma Olomouc wants to restrict access to the stadium for those responsible. "Some of those involved were identified after the incident and we are accumulating evidentiary material about others. We will do everything in our power to make sure these people never enter the stadium again. If the club will be financially punished, it will initiate criminal proceedeings against these people and sue them for damages," Sigma Olomouc posted to social media.
- Czech court hands down suspended three-year sentence to man who praised the terrorism in Christchurch, prosecutor appeals
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Czech racists physically assault Romani activist Jozef Miker while shouting antigypsyist abuse
- Czech MP who compared Muslim immigrants to "invasive species" will not be stripped of immunity from prosecution
- Czech Interior Ministry and Prague City Hall stop leasing properties to publisher who released Nazi calendar, MPs plan to ban the sale of Nazi symbols
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- French lawmaker, victimized herself by online hate, drafts law against it
- Czech court acquits football hooligans accused of assaulting dark-skinned man on Prague tram, prosecutor appeals
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- France: Extreme-right members arrested on suspicion of planning to attack Muslims
- Czech Police propose indicting football fans who assaulted African man on a Prague tram for racist reasons
- Czech football fans who assaulted African man on Prague tram have not been banned from matches
- France: Attack on Mosque in Paris Continues Europe’s Recent Vehicle Ramming Trend
- France: Journalist sentenced to six months for racist articles about immigrants from the Maghreb and Romani people
- Analysis: Czech media spread Islamophobic disinformation about court-ordered removal of Virgin Mary statue in France
- French perfumer Guerlain fined for racist statements
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Jaroslav Miko: Romani voters must cast their ballots for a democratic coalition, otherwise anti-Romani extremists may get into government
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Three innovations introduced to prevent hatred and racism on Instagram after UEFA's EURO 2020 championship sees spike in racist speech
- Slovak President and Plenipotentiary for Roma object to wave of hate and racism following announcement of Pope's visit to Romani neighborhood
- Czech Pirates sharply criticize bill to toughen welfare eligibility, delaying a vote
- Czech football club Sparta has identified the fans who shouted racist insults at Monaco player, filed a crime report against them and banned them from stadiums
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- "Kamara - just a n****r" - Czech Police looking for football fans who published racist banner
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax